• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What to do with PITA client and a job that has gone south.

Sticky Signs

I recently did a big perf window job for a client that runs Yoga studios. I did one of his studios a couple years ago with perf and they loved it. The perf allows for just enough privacy and lets his clients see out the window while practicing yoga.
Unfortunately, my installer tried to cut some corners and messed up real good. He didn't clean the windows properly, didn't line up the seams very well, left a bunch of bubbles and even left some backing paper on one part. From the outside it looks ok, not great, just ok. On the inside though, it looks like crap. You can see all the crap that was not cleaned off the windows and the backing paper. Obviously the client was not happy and neither was I. I agreed that the job would be a full redo at my cost. I let the client know that I ordered more perf and we where at least a week away from reprint and reinstall.
The client wasn't very happy with his designers layout so I suggested now would be a good time to fix the artwork and I'll reprint using the new files. I'm still waiting for the vinyl to arrive and plan to print as soon as I get the files.
Today I get an email says that he's not very happy because he feels the prints loose their brightness at night. (WTF???) What do I even say to that. Oh well, not my problem. I didn't create the sun. He's also complaining that you can see through the perf at night and his clients are complaining about the lack of privacy. He would like to discuss other material options.
I'm at a loss here and I don't know what I should do. I've already ordered the perf and have agreed to redo the original job including new file setup. Now he wants to change the whole thing and go a different route.

What would you do if you where me???:frustrated:

Billct2

How about a credit for the value of the first job, towards whatever ends up being done,
with the upfront understanding that it will be probably be more money.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Yes a credit of some sort then give him the option of maybe reflective window perf, its more money about $1.50 a sq.ft your cost but you should be able to re-coop all your profit no problem with it as it would look nice at night.

BargainSigns

I've run into these people a lot. I wouldn't redo the job as it will be 'wrong' also. Customers like this are never happy. After being in the sign business for 20 years, my recommendation is to refund their money. Plain and simple. I would say that "perf may not be the option for you, here is your money" and walk away! Otherwise, you'll have another 20 posts on this customer over the next 6 months!

gabagoo

Yes a credit of some sort then give him the option of maybe reflective window perf, its more money about $1.50 a sq.ft your cost but you should be able to re-coop all your profit no problem with it as it would look nice at night.

not heard of this..... Is it really reflective perf? I cant imagine the cost though.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
not heard of this..... Is it really reflective perf? I cant imagine the cost though.

Yes its really reflective, its been out for a long time and now there are third party products that are more cost effective like $1.50 a sq.ft

gnemmas

The reflective will still be able to see through during the night when inside is brighter than outside. A complete new approach is needed.

Some gyms use frosted vinyl with decorative cut and cover half window height only to give privacy.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
BigFish, you have any links/info about this stuff?? I'm very interested.... ;)

51.jpg

ova

Not sure if this is the problem with being able to see thru the perf at night, but if there's too much dark color on the printed image, it will act the same as looking thru it from the back side. (long sentence)

I did a window for a sports bar that had gambling machines in a separate room from the tables. It has four giant screen televisions. Since there's no smoking in our county he wanted patrons who smoke to be able to stand in the gaming room and still watch television but not be seen from the outside. He picked a local basketball court image with too much black/dark blue in it. I explained the perf process to him, but we know the customer is always right. After it was installed at six in the morning, he turned the lights on in the gaming room and we all know what everyone saw looking at the window. Lucky for me, he's living with it because he doesn't want to spend more money or admit that he messed up.

GypsyGraphics

Great solution and very cool stuff... had no idea this was available!!!
thanks, Bigfish!

Letterbox Mike

Reflective perf may be part of the answer, but you'll still have a problem a little bit if the light is brighter on the inside than outside. For reflective perf to work, there needs to be a light shining on the graphics, if there's not a light source, you still won't see it at night. This is just the nature of window perf. It's only effective if the ambient light is brighter on the viewing side than the back side.

DIGITAL360

you should let the installer pay for materials for the redo. charge you client for your design services & send him a proof with him/her signing off on it.Perf dont come cheap. window tinting on the inside with the right shade would eliminate peeping toms. show your client different shades(during daytime) of window tint before signing off on that. Having them sign off keeps you on check !!

G-Artist

Sell your customer on using Smart Glass after you have lined up a company where you can get a commission for the referral.

That's the only way I know of to have privacy in the evening hours.