• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What tool do you recommend to contour cut Gatorfoam or/and PVC sheets?

Tony Rome

Hi I just got a good deal on some PVC sheets about 18x24 and I want to contour cut them into specific shapes.
What tool could I use, I do not want to do this with a hand saw, I want something electric I can guide it through.

Want to cut Gatorfoam, Cintra, PVC etc...
Would a dremel be the way to go or even a rotozip?
Sorry not much experience.
Thanks!

CentralSigns

Tighter curves can be achieved with scroll saw, you'll need a variable speed one. A jig saw and a fine blade is good as well.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Hi I just got a good deal on some PVC sheets about 18x24 and I want to contour cut them into specific shapes.
What tool could I use, I do not want to do this with a hand saw, I want something electric I can guide it through.

Want to cut Gatorfoam, Cintra, PVC etc...
Would a dremel be the way to go or even a rotozip?
Sorry not much experience.
Thanks!

If you're doing them individually or just a couple at a time then a Cutawl. The tool that was specifically designed for this sort of thing.

If you're doing a many of the same pattern, then pad them and use a band saw or a jigsaw with a medium to fine down-cut blade.

This side of a CNC machine, these are the best solutions. Since you mention Dremel and Rotozip, I assume you're either an amateur or a cheapskate or some combination of both.

If you want to do professional work, get professional tools. Ignore this at your own peril.

marcsitkin

We use a bandsaw with a fine blade on gatorboard
IMG_1651.jpg

Works well and requires less cleanup than a hand held jigsaw.

Bill Modzel

If they're large, a router by hand. If they're smaller, a router mounted under a table.
Just make sure that the twist of the cutting flutes "pull" the laminated print into the substrate and not away from it. So you need a different bit for each setup.

CanuckSigns

if you are making a bunch of the same shape, I would get a template made up from 0.25" MDF or similar and use a hand router with a flush cut bit, each one will be identical and will take about 30 seconds to do

Tony Rome

If you're doing them individually or just a couple at a time then a Cutawl. The tool that was specifically designed for this sort of thing.

If you're doing a many of the same pattern, then pad them and use a band saw or a jigsaw with a medium to fine down-cut blade.

This side of a CNC machine, these are the best solutions. Since you mention Dremel and Rotozip, I assume you're either an amateur or a cheapskate or some combination of both.

If you want to do professional work, get professional tools. Ignore this at your own peril.

Bob, "not much experience" I think was pretty clear, haha.
Definitely not a cheapskate, I want what is right and a long term good solution.

Here is an example of what I want to cut...
A lot of what I do will be in the range of 15x15 and 5 different shapes that I always will use over and over.
helmets (15x15) multiple with template 50+
Names 15x5 custom special orders
HS Mascot or HS Logos 100+ (15x15)
I am totally unfamiliar with the tools and I want a good solution, not a get me by.
Also, if this same tool could cut Sintra.
Thanks,
Tony

Tony Rome

We use a bandsaw with a fine blade on gatorboard
IMG_1651.jpg

Works well and requires less cleanup than a hand held jigsaw.

Wow, that's awesome, and a pic too, thanks so much!
Do they make a counter top version, lol....let me guess they do it's called a .....(tell me, I really don't know, lol)

Tony Rome

Ok, maybe telling you my budget was a good idea.
Under $500 or really $300 if possible.

This is something I am trying out, but even trying out I know I want something like the Scroll Saw, in other words not a hand saw.

I think I really like the scroll saw.
Will it cut sintra, PVC , and gator (with the correct blades)
Thanks so much everyone, I thin kI am close!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Scroll Saw will cut all kinds of wood, plastic, PVC, acrylic, gator, foam sintra, Cor-X.... pretty much anything. It also gets into some mighty tight places. I think MacGyver has used it on occasions.

Oh, and it cuts through fingers very quickly, so be careful.

Tony Rome

Scroll Saw will cut all kinds of wood, plastic, PVC, acrylic, gator, foam sintra, Cor-X.... pretty much anything. It also gets into some mighty tight places. I think MacGyver has used it on occasions.

Oh, and it cuts through fingers very quickly, so be careful.
Hahahaha, your a trip Gino, I am going to get one today!

ilikespam9002

I always just use a variable speed jigsaw and do it by hand.Always looks good but have a guide either printed or with a vinyl border to be peeled away after cut and always leave premask on it till your done.im not sure bout the gator board i hate the stuff damages too easily.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
ili..... welcome and...........

I think you're thinking of foamboard. Gator cuts like butter.

for what you have described below reproducing the same shapes in a variety of substrates with the budget you have the way to do it is with a router table with a pattern bit as has already been mentioned i believe...you will make a master template and then what i do is using double sided masking tape adhere the two pieces together and the bit traces the template while cutting out the new piece...easy and fast..and in your price budget.

Bob, "not much experience" I think was pretty clear, haha.
Definitely not a cheapskate, I want what is right and a long term good solution.

Here is an example of what I want to cut...
A lot of what I do will be in the range of 15x15 and 5 different shapes that I always will use over and over.
helmets (15x15) multiple with template 50+
Names 15x5 custom special orders
HS Mascot or HS Logos 100+ (15x15)
I am totally unfamiliar with the tools and I want a good solution, not a get me by.
Also, if this same tool could cut Sintra.
Thanks,
Tony