Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What trick does matte material play on your eyes?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Banners Signs Etc., Jun 19, 2012.

1. Banners Signs Etc.

Banners Signs Etc. Active Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Kentucky
    There is something about it. It is almost like it is harder to look at, yet at the same time looks better and feels more effective. (my opinion)

Maybe someone with a color theory background can chime in but I am looking at the print now and it is hard for my eyes to process it but it looks beautiful.

My theory...the fact that it does not reflect as much white light back at the viewer makes the colors contrast more and makes edges very sharp.

Not to mention the ink lays so perfectly on it.

Tags:
  2. Coloradosigns

Coloradosigns Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    no.

3. Banners Signs Etc.

Sep 21, 2011
    Kentucky
    Thanks now I can sleep at night

4. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Matte doesn't reflect the light away like Gloss does, therefore making it easier to look at and also appears darker or richer in color. Gloss is definitely more vibrant, but under certain lighting conditions, it all boils down to a personal preference.

Your application will determine what gloss, satin or matte appearance you need or want.

5. Banners Signs Etc.

Sep 21, 2011
    Kentucky
    So it absorbs more potential color in the white light thus making the CMYK colors deeper? Although less vibrant?

6. Coloradosigns

Coloradosigns Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    I think you're over thinking the whole process. It's all about the profiles. You think it looks different because there is barely any light reflecting off it. So that causes the colors to look deeper, and not washed out?

7. Banners Signs Etc.

Sep 21, 2011
    Kentucky
    A baboon is telling me I am over thinking it...I guess I am

8. Maxphobia

Maxphobia Member

Apr 30, 2010
    I personally like matte mixed with gloss....and i like chocolate milk <sips>...man thats nummy:wavingflag:

9. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    No, not without giving the finger to the various laws of physics under which the external reality labors.

10. john1

john1 Guest

all i know is matte prints less grainy and i overlaminate with gloss for a better finished product.

11. 96XP

96XP Member

Apr 8, 2012
    BC
    +1 matte
    (might also be due to the difference in texture as I have looked under magnification)

12. Banners Signs Etc.

Sep 21, 2011
    Kentucky
    The professors are pretty mean at this college...I thought this was a 101 class?!
    At least I can make my own dunce hat.