• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions What vinyl to use for printed door graphics

K2

I have to make five hundred 14" circle decals for company vehicles, no install. I need something with good outdoor durability (Vinyl and Laminate) that's not going to shrink or roll. I have a .25" outline around the graphics for better hold and durability. Any suggestions on which vinyl laminate combo to use. My first thought was just to use a 3m IJ180 kit or and Avery 1105 kit. Thought? I want it last a minimum of 5 years.

Dan360

We would use the 180 kit. Mainly cuz we mostly use 3M stuff.

However a decal holding for 5 years that you have no control over the install of, I would be wary.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Arlon DPF-4600GLX and 3220 Laminate will work great and should cost fairly lower than 3M. Since you aren't doing a full wrap using cast vinyl is going overboard in my opinion. The 4600GLX is a high quality calendared vinyl and with the 3220 lam it stabilizes which prevents shrink and roll. You can't go wrong with cast but you can definitely save since you don't really need conformability with a 14" circle.

K2

Looks like I will stick with what I know and by the input suggested I will stick with the 3m 180. Thanks for the responses.

rjssigns

I've been doing equipment/vehicle decals with Arlon 6000XRP and 3220 laminate. It's my go to and has been for years. Also hundreds less per kit than 3M.

OhioSigns

I've got a construction company that I do a bunch of 13" door decals for. They generally buy 1 to 2 new trucks every month as they only keep them for about 5 years. I use 3M 40C with 8518 overlaminate for them and it works great. The IJ180CV3 is the way to go though if you want to get the absolute longest lifespan.

• Agree
Reactions: K2

OhioSigns

I feel embarrassed to say I use the lowly ij35c with arlon 3420 satin laminate. I have a construction company that orders 20 or so sets of plotted lettering plus logo in one piece, they stick it themselves. Since they were using cut oracal that had been made from 4 colors, pieced together, they rave about my graphics.
Anybody else actually using the ij35c or can anybody say why not?

I'm not 100% certain but I believe IJ35C is monomeric calendered. I would stay away from anything monomeric unless it's for temporary / short term graphics.

equippaint

I feel embarrassed to say I use the lowly ij35c with arlon 3420 satin laminate. I have a construction company that orders 20 or so sets of plotted lettering plus logo in one piece, they stick it themselves. Since they were using cut oracal that had been made from 4 colors, pieced together, they rave about my graphics.
Anybody else actually using the ij35c or can anybody say why not?
I use Oracal 3165 (equal to ij35) paired with 215 - their "best" calendared lam for a chunk of our work and have no problems. 4+ year life, Florida sun and no complaints, no redos. By the time the vinyl is getting tattered, its time for a new paint job anyways so removal isn't an issue. Our market is primarily construction companies too. They typically have very realistic and reasonable expectations.

ikarasu

IJ40 + 8048. We used to use 8508... but the past 10 or so rolls have been really cloudy. Nothing like making a beautiful print, then laminating it and seeing blur marks/clouds everywhere. We find 8048 to be better.

IJ 35 will shrink... Sure, it's rated 5 years... But thats unprinted, unwarranted time line. IJ35 on a vehicle that sits in the hot sun... Not only will it look like crap after a year, but it'll be brutal to remove.

IJ-40 is great for non curves, and after 5 years if/when it starts to fade... You can remove it easily. 180 is better, but if it's a flatish surface, not worth the extra cost.

I'd never use IJ35 on a vehicle... Even if it were to only last a month, removal time would negate any savings from stepping up to IJ40, even if your not removing it.. The customer would likely remember what a pain in the ass it is and not use you for it again.

Jb1983

Id give them the option with different pricing for 3m 40c or 3m ij180mc, the Arlon 4600 would be an equal to the 40c quality wise. Ive used 40c on lots of vehicles that were flat and 5 years was enough time, haven't had any issues. I wouldn't use the 40c for doing contour cut lettering or anything like that though. Also being thicker than the ij180 its a much easier install without needing to premask, customers can easily mess up the 180 being so thin without premask. Since there installing I wouldn't want to give a warranty...… other than maybe ink fading.

ij35c, no way no how, would never use that crap for anything as there cheaper products that last just as long for short term projects

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
Cast product of choice....

You want 5 years but will you get that from your ink? Cast will get you to your minimum of 5 years but most inks won’t.