• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What would you do?

Wraps ink

I had a client we did a wrap for that we also designed. He picked up the wrap said he loved it looks great and then left. He did pay, but calls me a few days later to say he hates the wrap and the red on the wrap doesn't match the red on his other truck. The other truck was hand painted by him and lettered by him ( looks horrible) btw. I told him first off that he never mentioned matching any red to the red on his other truck and had he asked me to I would have said its impossible to match solvent ink to paint. He said yeah well you took pictures of my old truck and I said yes we did take pictures because you wanted the same hand painted artwork on the wrap and never made a reference to color. So I go get the proof we gave him and the colors are spot on what we printed but......he didn't sign the proof...stupid stupid me!! once I pull out the proof he claims he never saw it or approved to print, Which is a bold face lie. He is now saying his brother is an attorney and he will take legal action if I don't fix it for free. My thoughts are he didn't sign the poof so I was gonna just fix it and eat the cost.My only worry is that I will never make him happy an he will just find something else wrong. Some input or advice would be great

Billct2

How did he approve the artwork, in person? No emails?
In any case I'd tell him he got exactly what he wanted and I'm not replacing anything, and I'd do that in a certified letter. Maybe he'll sue, maybe not, worst case you lose a few hours and have to replace it.

Wraps ink

yes he said he didn't have an email and approved it in person. im worried that without a signature I don't have a case to stand on.

If you really think you can't make him happy and you're that worried you can't win in court (if it ever happened) then offer to refund the money and move on.
Why waste your time and more materials that could be used making the money you lost on this sale. If he refuses the offer then stand your ground.

rdmdarr

I had a client we did a wrap for that we also designed. He picked up the wrap said he loved it looks great and then left. He did pay, but calls me a few days later to say he hates the wrap and the red on the wrap doesn't match the red on his other truck. The other truck was hand painted by him and lettered by him ( looks horrible) btw. I told him first off that he never mentioned matching any red to the red on his other truck and had he asked me to I would have said its impossible to match solvent ink to paint. He said yeah well you took pictures of my old truck and I said yes we did take pictures because you wanted the same hand painted artwork on the wrap and never made a reference to color. So I go get the proof we gave him and the colors are spot on what we printed but......he didn't sign the proof...stupid stupid me!! once I pull out the proof he claims he never saw it or approved to print, Which is a bold face lie. He is now saying his brother is an attorney and he will take legal action if I don't fix it for free. My thoughts are he didn't sign the poof so I was gonna just fix it and eat the cost.My only worry is that I will never make him happy an he will just find something else wrong. Some input or advice would be great

the problem you are about to run into is how did he pay? with a credit card, he will dispute and if you are lucky you might get half your money back... dunno what to say but Good luck!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Stand your ground.
Offer to wrap his other vehicle at a good price so the reds will match.

wayne k
guam usa

Tyler Durden

What can he sue for? Did you give him paperwork that says colors will match existing or anything for that matter? He took the vehicle as well and paid. That's acceptance of the product too, if it was that bad he should have said something right then.
I don't see why you would need proof that he saw a proof. Although, man that would be great to have at this point to shut him up. But if he did see it as you say then that's your word vs him. Sounds like a lesson can be learned for everyone, always have an approved proof on a job you don't want to do again for free and for him. Also if this guy gets upset, you need to consider he may damage your reputation online.

Post a pic if you can!

Wraps ink

The van is the wrap we did the box truck is the hand painted truck and I guess he threw another red truck in also for reference

Attachments

• jerry5.jpg
    jerry5.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 84
Doesn't look like to much red from the pic of the van. How about having him approve a red, and overlaying just the red and leave the rest of the wrap. Might be a quick fix with minimal loss

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
That red does look weak up next to the truck. Your green also looks a little light.
Could just be the photo, but you might want to try and work something out with him.

wayne k
guam usa

Biker Scout

I can tell from here that your red isn't even 100%M + 100%Y

Now his red might have about 10%K to it if I was going to pretend to match that, but your "Red" isn't Red. Unless you are matching a specific lighter/brighter or more "orangey" red, you should never send a red job to the printer that wasn't 100%M + 100%Y

Gotta mouse the eye dropper over your vibrant colors just to double check right before you RIP the file. Hit some good solids, if you have no other color references that you absolutely have to hit. If for no other reason than to help protect against fading down the road.

Bly

Tell him to paint over the red with the same paint he used on the truck.
It should look the same then.

Tyler Durden

I agree with above in that the red is weak and or orange toned. In that case I would be a little bummed too!

Offer two choices for fixing the problem, A few hundred to leave it as is or offer to overlay those areas with a darker red.
From the looks of the design it should be easy to overlay those areas.

visual800

Nobody would know that red is weak until you place it next to a painted red on the other vehicle. I wouldnt fix a damn thing. IF he would have mentioned a match Im sure you would have done anything to match it. I would have explained (and have) these are two different applications and they are not going to be spot on

I wouldnt redo a damn thing nor would I worry about any court, that is just not gonna happen, Dont make this a bigger deal than it is

Pat Whatley

Yeah, your red is weak but most people wouldn't notice it unless it's right next to the box truck (which looks pretty damn good for hand painted lettering)

In the long run you've got to think about whether the headache is worth it. You can stand your ground, argue with him, wait for the lawsuit which will probably never show up, and deal with him telling people he's pissed for the next four years. If he talks one person into going to a competitor you've lost. From the sound of your first post this is what you went with, you've already gotten defensive about it and he's gotten mad enough to mention his brother is an attorney.

Or you could have reprinted the red, overlaid it, made him happy and moved on.

It sucks to be in that position but sometimes in business it happens.