• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

whats a customer list worth.....?

PMG

we are closing one of our Tan Salons..i have everything sold......i had another salon ask how much i wanted for my customer list...we have over 5000 customers in my data base....what would be a good figure to ask...i was thinking a buck per client. is that to much or to cheap LOL:thankyou:

threeputt

A few factors in play here.

1) How likely is it that those same customers will simply go to the other salon after you close anyway? A) Are there a lot of similar salons in the immediate area? B) Is there something unique or different about your salon?

2) What kind of loyalty is there typically in the tanning business? ie: A tanning bed is a tanning bed, etc.

3) How current is your list? A) Have people moved away, moved on to other shops, died, etc.

4) Are there minutes left on some clients cards that will pretty much insure that they will go to the salon that purchases the list? Will they promote or honor those minutes paid or not?

5)You could go on and on about this. A good way to think about it is to place yourself in the other persons shoes. What questions would you ask, what would be your concerns?

Locals Find!

Hell a buck a name is a steal from a marketing prospective. You would have a ready list of people who have spent money on tanning services.

If I owned a tanning business I would gladly pay a buck a name for the chance to market to that captive of an audience. That is pure gold you have.

Billct2

I'm not sure what something like that would be worth...I mean you didn't liquidate the business because you were turning a profit with a loyal client base right? So you have the names of 5000 people that got a tan at your place but not enough of them came back to make it worthwhile to keep the business open.
If you knew a sign shop that folded how much would you be willing to pay for a list of their clients?

PMG

is not all about the tanning bed per say.....we also do spray tanning and hold the license ...not another shop within 50 miles can do the same spray systems that we do. and the list is pretty much current ...we have weeded out customers that have not been with us within 2 years...the guy owns a few tan salons and is goin to be moving in our current location at the end of this month when we close the doors.

PMG

this business is making money..but the old lady dont want to drive a hour to take care of it anymore...having 3 tan shops...a sign shop..and soon to be screen shop..its just way to much.

zmatalucci

is not all about the tanning bed per say.....we also do spray tanning and hold the license ...not another shop within 50 miles can do the same spray systems that we do. and the list is pretty much current ...we have weeded out customers that have not been with us within 2 years...the guy owns a few tan salons and is goin to be moving in our current location at the end of this month when we close the doors.

So if he's moving into your old location, why the hell would he pay for your client list??? These clients are going to fall into his lap either way.

Locals Find!

So if he's moving into your old location, why the hell would he pay for your client list??? These clients are going to fall into his lap either way.

Because being able to mail a notice to every client that he is now in that location is good marketing practice and ensures him a decent ROI on his marketing.

zmatalucci

Because being able to mail a notice to every client that he is now in that location is good marketing practice and ensures him a decent ROI on his marketing.

Perhaps you're right. But at a $1 per client, it's not worth it. This location is already associated with being a tanning salon, and people will continue to do so even after he closes down. Unless this guy mails every client and says "Im closing", people will still come.

zmatalucci

not to mention the fact that he can buy a mailing list with very specific demographics for about $100, and mail it out to more than 10,000 people for the same cost. This would add new customers as well as old ones.

Pat Whatley

its worth EXACTLY what someone will pay for it. not a penny more or less.

Exactly. Tell him you'd like $5000 for it. If he pays it you can walk away happy....if he doesn't then negotiate it. Hell, if you leave with $20 gas money in your situation then I'd think you're ahead.

Just out of curiosity why'd you just liquidate it if it was making money? Wouldn't you have come out better selling it as a turn key business?