• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Whats an economical software to open pdf files and export as high res tiffs or jpegs

gabagoo

I usually would do this with a version of acrobat that came on 1 of the computers I have had for 10 years. These days either it can't open the files or fails in exporting to high res jpg or tiff with info missing.

Whats an inexpensive software that will do this? I have Signlab and Flexi but I don't trust either as far as fonts or transparencies as I have found problems in the past.

anything cheap out there I can buy to do the job?

MikePro

acrobat pro will always be my go-to. convert fonts to outlines, export new pdf to photoshop to flatten to whatever image format/colorprofile you want.

bannertime

I'm curious why you would want to convert from a pdf?

Not sure about you, but we get these wonky PDFs from time to time that really need flattened to make sure they print correctly. We just had some for a large job where Illustrator pulled them in as Non Native Art. So we opened in Photoshop, rendered at 300 1:2 and then saved as TIFF. Pulled back into Illustrator, used a custom trace and welded all that together to create a contour cut line. I had one for a reunion banner earlier this week that was "print ready" however, it'd print all these weird overprints and cause this blue and white cloud to turn black and brown. After two or three attempts at resaving we exported as JPEG and moved on.

gabagoo

I have learnt the hard way that my Flexi for print has a nasty habit of defaulting to different fonts and ignoring transparencies.. Better safe than sorry. I would rather convert to a bitmap so that all is as should be.

2B

Flexi and PDF sometimes DO NOT play well with each other!
things would be fine, you would get lax on doing your pre-flight check. BAM print a job (usually substantial) only to see the issue AFTER it was printed

this is one reason we got rid of Flexi, especially after we got burned on over 2,360 SQFT of mesh banner being printed wrong......

player

PDFs can be problematic in any program. I have had colour issues and weird banding printing a PDF from Versaworks. Finally tried saving as an eps and all was well.

gabagoo

I have no problem doing what you describe in SL.
I use version 8 but pro version with no rip. zLike I said depending on how they were made sometimes they come in OK and other times you have to look very carefully as things change

shoresigns

Photoshop is the only tool I would trust for converting PDF to TIFF reliably.

Acrobat can do a nearly identical job of it, except it doesn't anti-alias, so you get jagged edges that you can only compensate for by exporting at a much higher resolution.

d fleming

I use version 8 but pro version with no rip. zLike I said depending on how they were made sometimes they come in OK and other times you have to look very carefully as things change
V8P&C here. If I am exporting or importing I make sure the change text to graphics box is clicked. I have illy, ps and corel as well. Corel is pretty good talking to SL. I am still on CDR12 and good with it.

Signed Out

acrobat pro will always be my go-to. convert fonts to outlines, export new pdf to photoshop to flatten to whatever image format/colorprofile you want.

You can also save it as a vector right in acrobat after converting text to outlines, even if you don't have the font.