• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What's everyone's go to for cut white vinyl for vehicles?

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I normally use 3M IJ40C for a fleet we do regularly. It's strictly white cut vinyl on a blue vehicle. The air release is great and makes the installs so quick. HOWEVER....we have had to remove some of the graphics now and the grey back adhesive SUCKS removing. So what is everyone's favorite choice for this application? Again, air release, white, and ease of removal are key. Cast is not necessary, so 3-5 yr is fine.

Dan360

Avery 750 easy apply. But personally I've rarely had luck removing any calendared off a vehicle after a couple years.

unclebun

For cut vinyl we use Avery 750 if the durability doesn't need to be longer than 5 years and there is no conforming necessary. If we want it more durable we use Avery 950 or 3M 7125. These are vinyls that are meant for cutting. You really don't need air release for cut vinyl lettering. If you think you do, you need to improve your technique.

eahicks

For cut vinyl we use Avery 750 if the durability doesn't need to be longer than 5 years and there is no conforming necessary. If we want it more durable we use Avery 950 or 3M 7125. These are vinyls that are meant for cutting. You really don't need air release for cut vinyl lettering. If you think you do, you need to improve your technique.
Eh, it's nothing to do with technique. We have found using an air release is way quicker, especially when we often have to knock out 5-6 of these vans (with lots of measuring, they're stupid Nissan NV vans) in just a couple hours. Our installers do fine with standard cut vinyl, but these go quicker and we also ship some out to other states where often they have someone at the company install. Plus they don't keep the vans that long and often change stuff, that's why I need the cleaner removal.
That being said, I'm trying a roll of Avery 2105 Easy Apply RS. Just did a test cut and it seems to cut better than the IJ40 did.

unclebun

Just curious how it's quicker to use air release vinyl? Taping and measuring and squeegeeing would seem to be the same regardless of the vinyl, as far as time goes.

M D Gourley

I normally use 3M IJ40C for a fleet we do regularly. It's strictly white cut vinyl on a blue vehicle. The air release is great and makes the installs so quick. HOWEVER....we have had to remove some of the graphics now and the grey back adhesive SUCKS removing. So what is everyone's favorite choice for this application? Again, air release, white, and ease of removal are key. Cast is not necessary, so 3-5 yr is fine.
I have used 'Arlon 4600LX' medium term, and air release for flat and simple curves...although I have not removed this film as yet so not sure if it will remove cleanly....3M 180v3 is my film of choice if I want to remove it cleanly later on.

Hero Signs

If they let me make it, they will come
We have had trials over the years and it depends. Our consrtuction based clients like the calandered due to durability to abrashion. Just ask the folks how long do they want to keep the graphics or the truck and use appropriate product.

ApexWraps

No air egress for cut films. More potential for lifting. Takes longer to weed anyway and more expensive. Not a lot of pros in using it. Use a cast film designed for plotting on vehicles.

eahicks

Just curious how it's quicker to use air release vinyl? Taping and measuring and squeegeeing would seem to be the same regardless of the vinyl, as far as time goes.
Are you serious? Tape up a 12" x 60" Premasked line of vinyl lettering, in both air release and standard cut vinyl, and run a squeegee across each one real fast, and tell me which one has a million bubbles. I've been laying high performance vinyls long enough to know you have to spend a little extra time getting it perfectly smooth.

eahicks

No air egress for cut films. More potential for lifting. Takes longer to weed anyway and more expensive. Not a lot of pros in using it. Use a cast film designed for plotting on vehicles.
I guess you missed the part where I said CAST is not needed.

unclebun

Are you serious? Tape up a 12" x 60" Premasked line of vinyl lettering, in both air release and standard cut vinyl, and run a squeegee across each one real fast, and tell me which one has a million bubbles. I've been laying high performance vinyls long enough to know you have to spend a little extra time getting it perfectly smooth.

No, we don't get a million bubbles. And even the few tiny bubbles that might be there will go away on their own. On the other hand, with wrap materials, if you don't apply enough pressure and heat to activate the adhesive, particularly with fine lines and small lettering, the vinyl is very prone to lifting.

Sign Impressions

Oracal 751c for black and white is what we have been using for the past 10 or so years.

It's kind of a mid-high grade vinyl, 8yr. with a blue liner for contrast while weeding.
Weeds fantastic. Removes great in the first 1-5 or so years, harder with age, just like any other vinyl.

Jb1983

Oracal 651 removes clean within 3 years over here. worried about bubbles just use a wet install.
Im surprised you haven't had lifting problems with 40c on cut lettering. the air egress calendered films tend to curl from the top.

I myself prefer to install NON air egress for cut lettering. Usually dry and with a hinge method its no problem. If its an awkward piece ill use a little soapy water.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Gregory Trendfilm 6500 is 3M cast face-stock with their adhesive formulation. Awesome inexpensive cast vinyl that last and is easy to remove.

I hate the way calendared vinyl shrinks, cracks and removes.