• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What's Smallest diameter upcut bit 4 cutting 1/16" thick aluminum sheet metal by hand

aluminumwelder

I often have to cut out rectangular holes in 0.062" aluminum sheet metal. I've tried various methods, nibblers, jig saw, but the best by far for a professional finish is a palm router with 1/8" carbide upcut bit using a router bushing and template guide. Looks like it was done by machine. Suprisingly I can find almost no one doing this online, only found 1 youtube video. I guess since the bits are marketed as CNC bits no one thinks they can be used in a hand tool????

My question is what is the smallest diameter bit I can use by hand that wont' be constantly breaking? Smaller diameter means less metal to cut through which means faster cleaner cuts.
I can't find any cheap 2mm upcut router bits in locally, but I can get them overseas for around $2 each compared to $30 each in USA.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW-..._7&btsid=e4c0c1e9-80aa-4455-96c3-0afe494da38e

I figured even if I busted all ten it wouldn't be that bad.

Anyone with experience doing this I'd love some feedback.

fixtureman

Supermario sells on Ebay. I have bought from him I got the 2.5 mm bits like the ones showing in your link but use for sintra

aluminumwelder

answering my own question again.

well I got some 2mm and 3.175mm diameter bits off aliexpress. the 2mm diameter ones would work for around 10 feet of cutting before they tended to break. I might have been pushing it too hard. It might have also been due to styrofoam melting and globbing on to the router bit. You can go a little bit faster since the diameter is smaller.

In the future I'd recommend grooving out the styrofoam along your template pattern so nothing but air is under the actual bit.

I've yet to break any 3.175mm (1/8") router bits cutting 1/16" aluminum sheet metal. they travel quite well and I even used one on some 18 gauge steel sheet metal and it still cuts aluminum fine.

I am always surprised by the almost total lack of information about routering aluminum on the internet.

Seems like people will use a CNC to router aluminum but not too many people do it by hand why is that?