• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What's the best material for a shaped aluminum sign

Parthenia

Most of my orders are just square or rectangular and I cut the alumalite with a jigsaw. The city wanted a shaped sign so this is what I came up with but now am looking for advice on how to cut it or what would be a better substrate. I think I have loaded the attachment for you to see it...first time attempting to do that! Thanks for any help1

Attachments

• paris.PNG
    paris.PNG
    22.8 KB · Views: 165
I use Alupoly and a trim router

I use a product from Peidmont Plastics called Alupoly. A generic version of Alumacor, same stuff as Max Metal from Grimco. Runs about $50 for a 4x8 sheet of 1/8"(shh, don't tell my customers)
Cutting it with a trim router with a 1/4" bit cuts like butter. almost no filing needed, except for where you slip a smidge and need to smooth out the curve. I use a pad sander (like those B&D corner ones) to smooth out the rounds. I have even gone right into the vinyl border and didn't wreck it like can happen with a jigsaw. BTW, both tools I use are 19.2 volt cordless and one battery will do a whole sign.

player

You could jigsaw a plywood one, then router the aluminum using the plywood as a guide for the router bit.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Materials are all almost alike. Not much difference worth discussing. Pick one and run with it. Find a local shop or vendor with a CNC machine and have it done right. Jigs and eye/hand coordination is not gonna work, if you're not used to it.

Parthenia

Forgot to say it is two sided and they are going to mount it on two posts so it will have a full front but back sign is narrower because of the posts.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
I'd create two single sided signs and have them sandwich the posts between.

I'm not sure the size you're looking at for these, but I'd suggest 1/4in Omegabond or DiBond and I second Gino. Find a router for this. Nice smooth edges and professional look compared to a jigsawed sign.

fixtureman

I route those style signs for a couple printing of companies around me. Should cost much for someone with a CNC

J Hill Designs

+1 to using 2 single sided panels. the 'back' side will look stupid and cheezy with the posts on the edges of it.

depending on size, ACM or 1/8" aluminum. I wouldn't personally use .080

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Doesn't say size, but I assume fairly large. 1/8" Aluminum, CNC routed and then powdercoated.

Johnny Best

If you do not have a lot of experience using tools to cut shapes, this might be a little hard to do. But you have to start somewhere, so take your time and with some of the suggestions provided it will be an adventure. Good luck. I like to do most of the work myself and not sub out work. I think the art of sign making should be carried on and hand made signs look so much better than cookie cutter looking signs.

player

Forgot to say it is two sided and they are going to mount it on two posts so it will have a full front but back sign is narrower because of the posts.

You're sure this is how it should be done? Who is responsible for designing the structure?

Billct2

A single sheet of dibond/ACM isn't sufficient for a sign that size.
Especially between two posts.
The budget isn't enough for what it needs.

Jillbeans

I would cut a mask on my plotter, apply it to b-bond from Glantz (a little over $50 a sheet but no ribs) Cut it CAREFULLY with a new blade in your jigsaw (cuts like butter)
Rasp the edges (you may need touch-up paint)
It's OK to mount as described with just a phrase on the back.
Love....Jill
PS
Your layout needs some work..no arching a script, lose the modern canoe graphic if using the other graphics...try something in a similar style.
Tighten your kerning in PARIS.
PSS
Be aware that at that size, the sign could "kink" in a heavy wind.
.080 would be sturdier, but your cost would increase as you'd have to get it CNCd.

Don't let people discourage you from using a jigsaw. I use a jigsaw for these types of things all the time. I make a pattern from some cheap interior vinyl and then just try to keep my cuts within 1/32" - 1/16" of an inch from the edge of the pattern. After I cut it with the saw, I use a palm sander with 100 grit sand paper and sand the edges down all the way to the edge of the pattern. Then go over it with some 150-200 grit and you will have nice clean edges. I could cut and sand a 4' x 8' sign like this in 30-40 minutes.