• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What's the best plotter on the market?

KR3signguy

I'm on the hunt for a good one!
Especially one with opticle registration.
I don't need anything that prints.
What say you?

WVB

Well if you are going to compare apples to oranges then stick with your Rolands, Graphtecs, Summas, etc. But compare the correct models of each brand with the likeness.

But if I had to say no money option plotter then the Summa T series with trueTangential™ controls hands down... Other wise look into a flatbed cutter...

Matt Cuellar

If you've got the cash, the Summa T Series is the best of the best, otherwise I'd go with a Graphtec FC-7000 series.

dclet

Summa...... I just purchased another....d160, I also have T750 pro.
you will not be disappointed....opos is excellent and very precise.

bandwagon

Summa really seems to be bulletproof. The shop I work at runs it ALL DAY, never any real problems. I was looking at getting one, and for my needs the d60 seemed great. (Of course I haven't bought one yet.) Summa opened /relocated a store somewhere near Boston too, it's work calling them see if they have any floor models.

Word on the street is you guys have a Jeti 1224 on the way. I would highly suggest investing in a Zund Cutter. It does everything a plotter can and also can die cut anything up to 2". You guys wil be bummed if you have to hand cut all the volume of substrates you will be prinitng on to support that Gandi.

Don't sell yourself short.... Trust me

ColesCreations

Check e-bay for a used Summa t plotter, if your budget is "cheapie".
We have a 8-year old SummaSign T140 with OPOS, highly recommended, wish it had USB though... Does not look like it will wear out for the next 10 years.

MobileImpact

a lot of Summa love. Had one and hated it. Perhaps just had the one bad apple!

For us, our Graphtecs have always been the way to go!

Kevin

jayhawksigns

Another loyal Summa user here.

I can't say a whole lot about their lower line, but I most likely would not even look at other plotters when we need to replace our current T series unit.

chopper

wow I didn't know that so many other run summa also I have a s-75 and would recommend summa to anyone great machine and no one else mentioned the service, summas service is fantastic!!! when you but a summa it's covered free tech support for life and the opos works great //chopper

Graphics2u

Don't have any experience with a Summa but sounds like a lot of people like em.

I do have experience with the Mutoh Ultima and it's electronic registration system is unbeatable, in my opinion. Definately at least look at one to see for yourself. All you have to do is put your print in the cutter and the EPOS sytem takes it from there. No finding the first mark yourself, totally automatic and very accurate!

I haven't looked at many other cutters but I didn't have to once I saw how this one worked.

Pro Image

I have a Mutoh Ultima 1400 and a Greber Fastrack 750(by Mutoh)......Both use the same drive motors and really the only difference is the 1400 has OPUS.........And a LCD screen as the 750 uses lights to tell you what set-up your using.....

Both are great machines......

I also have a CE1000-60 from Graphtec and have never had a problem with it in over 10 years.......But it is no FC series either.........

All the big name brands are going to give you great service..............

KR3signguy

Word on the street is you guys have a Jeti 1224 on the way. I would highly suggest investing in a Zund Cutter. It does everything a plotter can and also can die cut anything up to 2". You guys wil be bummed if you have to hand cut all the volume of substrates you will be prinitng on to support that Gandi.

Don't sell yourself short.... Trust me

Word travels fast, eh?
We have a CNC Router to shred up them substrates.
We currently use a Graphtek & a Gerber Odyssey but would like to upgrade to something new with an opticle that will work directly w/ Wasatch's contour cutting feature.
So far I'm interested in hearing about these 3 because they are noted to be compatable with Wasatch out of the box.
ALLEN DATAGRAPH
800 Plus Series
GRAPHTEC
FC–7000 Cutter
SUMMASIGN
SummaSign Pro S Class D Series

Guys, thank you for your imput. It's much appreciated.

Letterbox Mike

We have the Summa S160D and I swear to you, short of a Zund, this thing beats all else hands down. We upgraded from a Summa T750 and the drag-knife S-Class is faster, quieter and cuts better (including thick sandblast stencil). They're pricey, but worth every penny (not that should matter if you just bought a Jeti though!). Before we bought the Summa we had a Graphtec FC7000, used it for about a week and sent it back, nothing compares to a summa.

KR3signguy

We have the Summa S160D and I swear to you, short of a Zund, this thing beats all else hands down. We upgraded from a Summa T750 and the drag-knife S-Class is faster, quieter and cuts better (including thick sandblast stencil). They're pricey, but worth every penny (not that should matter if you just bought a Jeti though!). Before we bought the Summa we had a Graphtec FC7000, used it for about a week and sent it back, nothing compares to a summa.

Why did you send back the Graphtek?

oc63rag

Look at the rest of the workflow also. If you're going to print on one machine and bring it over to your cutter make sure your software will drive both and do it with ease. I'm currently using Photo Print 5 DX to print to my HP and Seiko and then it will also cut to my Graphtec. It's a very nice, basic system.

Letterbox Mike

Why did you send back the Graphtek?

Nothing really super wrong with the Graphtec specifically, it's just tough to go from a Summa backwards, and I didn't feel like the Graphtec was worth the price paid for it after seeing what else is available for not much more. I know the G's are good units, alot of people have no problem with them, but to us with our workflow and the volume we run through the plotter it wasn't worth keeping. I also just didn't trust the long term durability of it and it seemed much less user-friendly than the Summa. Summas are built like tanks, the Graphtec just felt lighter duty... not quite entry level, but definately not industrial strength either.

Again, these are my oppinions based on 10+ years of Summa use. We thought we'd save a thousand bucks and go to the Graphtec, since most people said it was like comparing apples to apples, but it's really not.

signguy95

I've used a FC-2100 series Graphtec for the last 14 years and it runs constantly 5 days a week (we do automotive decals and such for the used and new automotive dealers, so alot of the works is just 4x4, sports, ect.)
Sent this machine in twice in 14 years to fix the grit roller. The 2100 series cut directly above the grit roller and when the blades would get set wrong it would chip away at the grit roller over time. Graphtec sent out a model just like it to use while they fixed ours.

Just bought a new FC-7000 series when we purchased the printer and laminator.

I love my Graphtecs. Never used a summa, but have only heard nice things about them.

Jay