• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What's the best rip software to use for wide format printing?

CalamityJay

I would like to know what's out there for software, in regards to color management, from everyone at signs 101.

Caldera?

Onyx?

SAi?

Etc...

GO!

xxaxx

Caldera here ... works really well, and great support from the people that made it if any issues arise.

MikePro

Onyx here. LOVE IT!
paired with my new HP26500, color profiling is a breeze.
same goes with any printer, if you have a spectrophotometer.

darrell

Never used this but I think Barbieri would my first target for color management.

I liked Colorburst when I used it, Wasatch and Production House were ok. I think I would check out Caldera and get some samples off the printer.

ProColorGraphics

I love Caldera too! I have had great luck with it and tech support is awesome! I went off of others statements saying they got better color from Caldera compared to Onyx.

I haven't personally used any others, excepts VW when I had a Roland.

MikeD

that depends on what you're printing; some RIP software is focused more on color and kind of lacking in the finishing dept. (contour cutting decals, automation...)

Also, make sure that your current devices and the ones on your wish list are supported.

The MOST important aspect IMO is the tech support. I am looking to switch from our current RIP to something with better tech support. Some RIP companies charge an exorbitant amount for support.

nate

Caldera, of course! We've been through VersaWorks, Wasatch and Onyx.. Caldera is light years ahead of any of them.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Pick whatever one gets you off. They all use essentially the same engine. They differ mainly in user interface and, to a lesser or greater degree, parameter handling. But they all do the same thing in pretty much the same way.

Much like Corel vs Adobe, Ford vs Chevrolet, etc.

HulkSmash

Pick whatever one gets you off. They all use essentially the same engine. They differ mainly in user interface and, to a lesser or greater degree, parameter handling. But they all do the same thing in pretty much the same way.

yeah, you're wrong. There's a huge difference.

KevSign

Why?
Does it have better color management tools?

Can it show color neighbors when printing spot colors?

We had pantone chart and print for client to special color match.

I had a chance to test print before print 300 banner stand film, between Wasatch, Onyx, Caldera and Caldera print way nicer, dot smoother than other rips.

I think Caldera use to make the rip for offset printing Brisque, Scitex Rip, Prinergy than sold to Kokak. Now they focus on Wide Format.

heyskull

Using Wasatch 6.2 at the moment but we have always had issues were sometimes it will not create the contour cut file properly. I have been in touch with Wasatch and as per usual they blame the hardware and software it runs on.
Strange as when you reprocess the file it works fine!
Wasatch just want money for an upgrade and will not help!
Why would I buy new Wasatch if the old one didn't work properly!!!!
I love Wasatch as it is simple but will have to bring in our 2 Signlab RIPS as at the moment cannot afford to have to reprint and laminate stuff if it will not cut properly.

SC

ForgeInc

I disagree. Many differences. We couldn't get gradients to print without banding for the life of us in Onyx. Switched to caldera, no issues. Caldera and onyx also lay down different amounts of ink.