• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Whats the difference?

rcook99

I am looking to up grade my dimensions 8200 XP with a new computer. So my questions are. :help:

1) what are the differences between the XPS and Dimension?

2) should I go with the Dual core Pentium or AMD Atholon 64x2?

3) Do I go with Vista or XP Pro?

4)RAM Is there that much difference between the 677mhz to the 800mhz, basically is it something worth paying more for?

5) Hard drive size of 320G, Is that big enough.

keep in mind most of my work is done in X-3 and Illy for vinyl cutting, but I also run embroidery equipment also. I appreciate all and any imput in regards to this post as I am looking to order it very soon.
:thankyou: Bob

rcook99

My current processer is 1.6mhz p4 with 256mb PC800mhz RAM. As for the XP that is my thought but am looking for more input to make my decision. I thought about going w/ tigerdirect and building it myself but just to much going on to go that route.

cdiesel

You're doing design on that machine? :cool:

From my understanding, the dimension line is entry level, and XPS is made mainly for gaming. I don't see why a machine that could handle gaming well wouldn't work well for design, though. We have a dimension 8400, but it's got 4gb. I'd go at least 2gb of ram--the stuff's so cheap it's crazy not to.
I don't think I'd buy an XPS because of the all bells and whistles you'll get/pay for but don't really need. If you're into gaming, great, but if not you'll get a bunch of stuff you won't use. If you're going to go with a dell, I'd get a precision workstation, core 2 duo (fastest you can afford), and like bogie said, a raid array of drives. If you're using photoshop, add a 2nd physical drive/array for scratch disk purposes.

signguy95

Look at the optiplex line of dell computers. that's what I have a the shop and it does a pretty good job. Better that my dimension at home, but that could be because of all the crap I do at home but not at the shop?!

Jay

rcook99

You all metion RAID drives and I am looking at them on Dell under the prcision work stations but what configuration should I go with? I have never had any experience with this type of equipment.

ChiknNutz

RAID 1 which is two mirrored drives. If you can swing it, RAID 5 (at least 3 drives) or RAID 10 (at least 4 drives).

JT

I really thought I was "in shape" with the technical lingo, but I too, am confused. I did finally get through all of the above and learned something too!