• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question What's the point of translucent black?

bannertime

It feels like it'd be a waste of money. I just use whatever cast black I have. Am I doing a disservice by not using it?

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Not sure if it's relevant but we've printed black to clear/translucent to make a tint for windows. If the black comes out too light we'll do a "double strike" print for a deeper tint.

bannertime

Not sure if it's relevant but we've printed black to clear/translucent to make a tint for windows. If the black comes out too light we'll do a "double strike" print for a deeper tint.

Do you do the whole window with that, but also print other images or their logo on it? I'm assuming it'd be some type of seamless "tint"/window lettering?

a77

Usually translucents are matte, and it matches the finish of the other translucents in the group (at least for Avery and 3M)

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Do you do the whole window with that, but also print other images or their logo on it? I'm assuming it'd be some type of seamless "tint"/window lettering?

Whole window. We've also done the same double-strike print on clear that's full color for existing backlit white acrylic sign faces. One strike print will be too light when backlit. Haven't had the need for any seems just yet. All one piece.

unclebun

Translucent black is for matching the sheen, thickness, durability, and lack of shrinkage of the other translucent vinyls it is used with. Think yellow letters on a black background. Translucent vinyls are different from regular opaque sign vinyls in more than their light transmission characteristics.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
To answer your question about disservice, I'd say no. If you feel like you need to match the sheen, you could always use matte black. In my experience, high performance matte black is the exact same thing as the "translucent".

bannertime

Appreciate the info. Sucks because this sign is mostly black with a small 3x3 section of color. So using the translucent black would nearly double the cost.

Isn't that something you would account for in your estimating though. I never understood people complaining about using expensive vinyls. The vinyls should all be a part of the cost to the customer. It's not like you quote something with house calendared vinyl and then the job comes in and you have to do it with 3M Cast Wrap Vinyl.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Isn't that something you would account for in your estimating though. I never understood people complaining about using expensive vinyls. The vinyls should all be a part of the cost to the customer. It's not like you quote something with house calendared vinyl and then the job comes in and you have to do it with 3M Cast Wrap Vinyl.

He asked a legit question... something I have wondered myself. And who said he priced it without considering it? Maybe he priced it that way and thought to himself, "Hey why do we do it this way because it would be cheaper the other way?" Obviously one could understand the disappointment of spending more money then necessary... But hey, maybe it's fun to just look like a know it all isn't it?

He asked a legit question... something I have wondered myself. And who said he priced it without considering it? Maybe he priced it that way and thought to himself, "Hey why do we do it this way because it would be cheaper the other way?" Obviously one could understand the disappointment of spending more money then necessary... But hey, maybe it's fun to just look like a know it all isn't it?

I responded to his second comment. ""Sucks because this sign is mostly black with a small 3x3 section of color. So using the translucent black would nearly double the cost.""
Why does that suck if you bid your job accordingly. Too many people trying to find a cheaper material to cut costs and underbid the person who really should have made the sign. If a spec calls for a certain material, quote that material, not a material you think is good enough. I jump for joy when people order DG signs instead of EGP signs.

bannertime

I responded to his second comment. ""Sucks because this sign is mostly black with a small 3x3 section of color. So using the translucent black would nearly double the cost.""
Why does that suck if you bid your job accordingly. Too many people trying to find a cheaper material to cut costs and underbid the person who really should have made the sign. If a spec calls for a certain material, quote that material, not a material you think is good enough. I jump for joy when people order DG signs instead of EGP signs.

Oh wow. I'm not going to say you don't know what you're talking about, because you are correct about how to charge and using the right material. (That's what this post was about anyway; is translucent black necessary or just a preference) But here, you don't know what your talking about. It sucks because it's double the cost. This customer would lose his mind after getting a optional quote that was almost double the original. Don't read into it any more or any less.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Translucent black is also more opaque then standard cast vinyl. Standard cast vinyls have a mottled texture when backlit.

rydods

Member for quite some time.
Jester1167, thank you for the info. I read the title of this thread and was curious myself. Your answer was exactly what I was looking for and I'm sure bannertime feels the same way.
Translucent black is also more opaque then standard cast vinyl. Standard cast vinyls have a mottled texture when backlit.

unclebun

It sucks because it's double the cost. This customer would lose his mind after getting a optional quote that was almost double the original. Don't read into it any more or any less.

That's exactly the lesson to be learned here. The customer was obviously given a quote before the signmaker knew what he was talking about, and the signmaker has to decide whether to eat crow or eat cost.

bannertime

That's exactly the lesson to be learned here. The customer was obviously given a quote before the signmaker knew what he was talking about, and the signmaker has to decide whether to eat crow or eat cost.

Yeah, you also don't know what you're talking about. I gave the quote after getting the information I needed. This particular job does not need the trans black. If the colors were flipped, mostly trans orange with some black, then the quote would have included all trans material. However, there is such a little amount of translucent vinyl that it doesn't justify the need to double the cost of the sign.

unclebun

Yeah, you also don't know what you're talking about. I gave the quote after getting the information I needed. This particular job does not need the trans black. If the colors were flipped, mostly trans orange with some black, then the quote would have included all trans material. However, there is such a little amount of translucent vinyl that it doesn't justify the need to double the cost of the sign.

You're right, I don't know what I am talking about, except what is posted above in the thread about the customer would have lost his mind with a higher quote using translucent black. That implies that the quote didn't include it.

bannertime

You're right, I don't know what I am talking about, except what is posted above in the thread about the customer would have lost his mind with a higher quote using translucent black. That implies that the quote didn't include it.

I did not include it, and on purpose. And what I've already explain in the last comment. It would have been stupid to go back to the customer and say "hey you need to pay double just because someone on the internet said so." when that person doesn't even know what the sign is for.