• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What's the widest magnetic sheeting available?

I have a customer who is requesting some reflective magnetic signs that would be around 48" x 36". Does anyone manufacture magnetic sheeting as wide as 36" or larger? All of our suppliers only carry the standard 24-25" material. And while I'm at it, has anyone here had any experience applying reflective vinyl over magnetic sheeting. Does it edge curl or is there any other reason one might want to avoid that particular application? We've never actually done reflective magnets so this is new to us. These are not for moving vehicles but rather to mount to an existing painted steel panel that is mounted to their office building walls. Any advice is very much appreciated. Thanks!

bannertime

I have a customer who is requesting some reflective magnetic signs that would be around 48" x 36". Does anyone manufacture magnetic sheeting as wide as 36" or larger? All of our suppliers only carry the standard 24-25" material. And while I'm at it, has anyone here had any experience applying reflective vinyl over magnetic sheeting. Does it edge curl or is there any other reason one might want to avoid that particular application? We've never actually done reflective magnets so this is new to us. These are not for moving vehicles but rather to mount to an existing painted steel panel that is mounted to their office building walls. Any advice is very much appreciated. Thanks!

Magnum makes 48" x 50' rolls. I don't think a decent Reflective would come up. Like I've never seen IJ5100 curl as a decal.

What's the reason for doing it on a magnet and not just applying direct? Is it going to be removed regularly?

Magnum makes 48" x 50' rolls. I don't think a decent Reflective would come up. Like I've never seen IJ5100 curl as a decal.

What's the reason for doing it on a magnet and not just applying direct? Is it going to be removed regularly?

It is going to be removed regularly, but I didn't really get a chance to get into exactly why it would be removed though. And I don't think this job could possibly justify the cost of an entire 50' roll so they may have to rethink this whole reflective magnet thing.

Dan360

I believe they sell the 40" and 48" rolls in 25' as well as 50'. Some suppliers may sell it by the yard if they stock it. We get most of our 24" by the yard.

bannertime

My suggestion would be to make a drop in frame that they could slide an ACM sign in and call it good. SignComp makes a 4mm frame extrusion for like $70 for 24'. Would last a lot longer and they could do the sign double sided for an additional message.

My suggestion would be to make a drop in frame that they could slide an ACM sign in and call it good. SignComp makes a 4mm frame extrusion for like $70 for 24'. Would last a lot longer and they could do the sign double sided for an additional message.

Yeah, I guess I'll have to find out what the whole purpose of this magnet thing is, anyway.

I believe they sell the 40" and 48" rolls in 25' as well as 50'. Some suppliers may sell it by the yard if they stock it. We get most of our 24" by the yard.

Thanks, Dan. Any particular distributor that you know of that might sell by the yard? I just looked at Fellers and they sell 48" to my surprise, but not by the yard, but I guess it's not quite as expensive as I thought it might be. I guess I should have looked around a little more because it's apparently more common than I thought.

ikarasu

What reflective are you going to put on it? We used to do all the Magnets for our provinces insurance broker... We sheeted magnet with diamond grade then screen printed it. Never had any problems whatsoever. Havent tried anything besides DG/EGP, but I doubt any reflective would be an issue.

Christian @ 2CT Media

We use Magnum Magnetics DigiMag and sheet with 3M 3430EGP or Avery T1200 EGP all the time... It's mostly for construction or traffic guys for temp directional signs.