• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What's your margin?

TXFB.INS

more information is needed

are you talking banners that every craigslist hack can produce or are you talking one off hand carved signs?

rjssigns

It is variable depending on the product and quantity of said product. Also, like any business as a product moves toward commoditization margins suffer.

ThinkRight

That sounds like you are one of those greedy 1% !
We have been told for 3 1/2 years now profits are evil !
Your company exist only to provide jobs,not profit.

/ wish I was kidding

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
What is a typical margin for our business?

You're getting a fair number of wise crack replies. The reason is that the question doesn't specify enough for any kind of proper answer.

By margin, for example, do you mean ...

• Gross profit after materials?
  • Gross profit after materials and labor?
  • Net profit after materials, labor and overhead including salaries?
Further, what kind of business are you asking about? Any answers you get will vary greatly between a smaller operation and larger ones.

Bear's Signs

I'm a small two man operation that mainly does vinyl and yard signs, banners, decals. I'm new to the business side of this but Ive had my hands on vinyl for years. I value the years of knowledge shared on this forum.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I'm aiming for 60% gross profit margin overall. I'm I too high?

I'm a small two man operation that mainly does vinyl and yard signs, banners, decals. I'm new to the business side of this but Ive had my hands on vinyl for years. I value the years of knowledge shared on this forum.

No you sound about right if you are covering your materials and labor (including yours) at 60%. To check to see if you're competitive, check how many quotes turn into accepted orders. My experience is a closing rate of 70% is about right. If you're closing a greater number, then you're too low and you should raise prices. If you're closing a lesser percentage, then you're pricing too high and you need to lower your prices while also finding ways to work more efficiently to retain the 60% gross profitability.

artbot

after i did a year end calculation, i found out i was at 72%. you'd think my gut reaction would be "great!". my reaction was that i'm not spending enough back into the business. 60% is the goal with the new partnership, anything higher will be cut back into equipment to go for more speed and efficiency. remember the margin is not the goal, the goal is a big pile of money.

ThinkRight

remember the margin is not the goal, the goal is a big pile of money.

:ROFLMAO:

Yeah right !
You sir are a capitalist pig !

/ sarc
A big Pile O Money !
That is why I still wake up everyday.
Hoping to make it, find it or win it.

:ROFLMAO: