• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help When dealing with a vector file that is missing files and fonts...

bannertime

In Illustrator you have the option to find new fonts, apply new fonts, relink files, ignore linked files. In Flexi, you have the option to convert fonts to paths and magically import the vector copy (Edit: if the linked file was a vector) of the missing files. However, the gradients brought in, because it's a flood fill, are not correct.

Is there a way to open the file with everything intact? Would prefer the text being converted.

I'm guess I could pull the text and logo into Flexi, save as PDF and import into the correctly filled Illustrator file, but I'd rather not.

In this specific case, the customer will be re-sending the file, but some times there may not be time for this.

Last edited:

bannertime

The one I just got was a PDF. I supplied them a PDF template with exact instructions on how to use it, save it, and send it. They dumped the cut lines and layer mask and made a background shape to fit the layout. Then they didn't even flatten the artwork. Just sent it as is. So I've still got to go in and fit it to the template when I get the updated artwork.

I'm just thinking there has to be something that combine the magic path conversion and missing file import of Flexi with Illustrators proper import of the flood fills.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
In my experience illustrator users don't care to take the time to provide a "proper" universal file.They assume everyone uses illustrator. I can tell right away when an eps or pdf file came from adobe.If I get a file that has fonts missing then it wasn't done properly. All fonts should be converted. Gradient and eps do not mix well in other programs. PDF is the only sure way to make a universal file. Provided the fonts are converted.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Tell the customer their options are: A) provide the file as requested or 2) let them know you'll create a usable file out of their garbage for $XXX (whatever gets the point across for you) and let them decide.
If they insist on creating their own files, they should learn to do them properly. I know when I have to outsource, I am conscientious about giving the supplier what they've requested so there's no confusion or hassle.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Open in Acrobat. Tools, Watermark. Type a big 1 or whatever (you can delete in Illustrator later). Then Print Production >Flattener Preview - check convert all type to outlines, 100% vector (if it is), click apply, ok on the warning about this cannot be undone. Save as a new PDF. Open in Illy.... :)

Been a while since I've done this but I think its the right steps to force a PDF to convert all type to outlines in Acrobat. If I have it wrong, google it. Its doable and I've had to do it in a pinch. When done this way all of the native Illy effects, etc remain in tact and editable in Illy and the type all gets converted to outlines so the text does not get all jacked up due to the missing fonts.

bannertime

In my experience illustrator users don't care to take the time to provide a "proper" universal file.They assume everyone uses illustrator.

This is due to people not actually knowing what they're doing. Especially when it comes to prepress. The ONLY time I've ever, knowingly spoken to a Corel user, I had to look up how to save as PDF in Corel and email her the instructions. So it really goes on both sides, there's just a much larger pool of Illustrator users.

Tell the customer their options...I am conscientious about giving the supplier what they've requested so there's no confusion or hassle.

This particular customer is using another departments designer, so it's taken about a month just to get the first layout for a single sided 2x8 project. I'm not waiting another month for the changes. If I don't get anything in the next two days, I'm fixing it myself. If a vendor has templates, I will ALWAYS use them. Every time I haven't, things have gotten messed up in weird ways. Or they blame the lack of template for crooked cuts...o_O

Open in Acrobat. Tools, Watermark. Type a big 1 or whatever (you can delete in Illustrator later). Then Print Production >Flattener Preview - check convert all type to outlines, 100% vector (if it is), click apply, ok on the warning about this cannot be undone. Save as a new PDF. Open in Illy.... :)

This is interesting. I was just thinking about using a viewer to resave it in some fashion. Will definitely try it out.

Andy_warp

A trick I use for this is I provide art templates and forcefully keep it formatted as Illustrator.
I provide a pdf "for reference only", and specify that we want the .ai file back, not a pdf.

It curbs a lot of this type of problem, but inevitably we get things back that don't work.

I put resolution notes and ask for fonts to be converted to outlines. I ask for images linked...and provided separately.
I build the file at scale and tell the customer the proper resolution for placing an image for each individual template.
I also state critical colors should be PMS Solid Coated.

Many of my customers get their files second hand so we still have to reinvent the wheel sometimes.
I've found sometimes you can get problem customers trained by throwing the art back at them with an explicit template.

The key is flagging any of these pitfalls early.

Andy_warp

Another trick I use is tell people their job is now ...gasp..."on hold" until we get good files.

That gets a fire going usually!

Andy D

I have gotten PDF files in past, where they didn't convert fonts or embed them & I didn't have the fonts.
My work around was to open it in Photoshop. It would usually open their layout without changing anything,
but I would, of course, lose any vector lines that I might have needed.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Open a blank page in illustrator. Use the place command to place the supplied PDF. Select the PDF and go to flatten transparency. Change the slider on top to 100% vector. Click the box for convert all fonts to outlines and click off the box that says outline Strokes. Go to outline mode in preview and you should see vectors.

*** edited to add: this is assuming they were actual vectors to begin with and not someone that placed a raster image into illustrator.

Behrmon

Pr. Bear-Mon
Open a blank page in illustrator. Use the place command to place the supplied PDF. Select the PDF and go to flatten transparency. Change the slider on top to 100% vector. Click the box for convert all fonts to outlines and click off the box that says outline Strokes. Go to outline mode in preview and you should see vectors.

*** edited to add: this is assuming they were actual vectors to begin with and not someone that placed a raster image into illustrator.

This is what we do.

particleman

We've done this for years. We got to the point with customers a long time ago where we would just say, "Send us a PDF"

myront

CorelDRAW is best
This is due to people not actually knowing what they're doing. Especially when it comes to prepress. The ONLY time I've ever, knowingly spoken to a Corel user, I had to look up how to save as PDF in Corel and email her the instructions. So it really goes on both sides, there's just a much larger pool of Illustrator users.

Which leads to a whole new discussion concerning what is or rather what is not being taught in college graphic design courses. Every college insists on using Adobe which I believe is a problem in itself. They aren't teaching differences between file formats or anything on the prepress side. Great you can now "design" a file but you have no idea how to provide a file for print or cut. You don't know anything about font management or any windows operating systems. Oh yeah, Mac is used in these colleges.

..I got work to do

RayGun

Like he said-
New File
Place PDF
Flatten Transparency
Check "Convert Fonts to Outlines"
Print.
Done.

Last edited:

Bigdawg

Just Me
That would be "she said"... :)

StacyHalloween.jpg

bannertime

The place>flatten option works perfectly. Just what I was needing in this case. Also, didn't realize how many tools I actually used in Illustrator till all the tool bars disappeared after the update.

burgmurk

The 'place and flatten' thing has been the solution for a while, before that, showing somebody the old "watermark & flatten trick" in acrobat would blow minds. Everybody with a year or two's experience working in the Adobe suite should know this. Are the designers still morons? yes probably, but there's no reason for that to hold up your production these days :)