• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Where should I get my new computer?

Shovelhead

But the parts from Tiger or neweggbit and build it yourself....

and spec exactly what you do and don't need.
You'll get a lot of satisfaction building it yourself.
Personally, I don't see the need for a Core Duo.

I have a
- Pentium D 3.2
-512G graphics card
-150G HD/320G external
-2G RAM
-DVD burner
but then again, I'm not processing large digital files.

$500 tops

Flame

I just got mine from Tiger Direct, custom built with what I wanted in it. I love it. And the price was not half bad either. I give the company a A+ .

weaselboogie

I've always been a fan of dells. Say what you will, but my first one was a refurbished computer that lasted 7 years and the only thing I ever replaced was the hard drive on year 5. Since then all of my computers have been refurbished dells. Spend the money and get something high end, but you save because it was refurbished.

rcook99

Myron, I am glad you posted this as I am also looking into a new computer and curious as to the response. I spoke with the tech. guy for my new embroidery machine and he also stated as in your post yesterday to stay with XP. I have considered building my own as techman states but like you I am not sure of all the tech. specs and matching all the correct parts so it will work well. Good luck.

Thanks RCook

myronb

I've built a bunch of 'em, but it's been years. Sidenote: I was about a week from taking the exam to get my A+ certification to get a job in IT when I sat down with my newest issue of "some computer mag". I started reading an article about this new technology: USB. WTH? The entire article made no sense to me & I decided I better stay in the sign business! I think I made the right decision, sometimes I get into trying to fix a problem with one of these things & realize that I'm not as patient as I used to be!

Shovelhead

A little bit of research on the net......

Myron, I am glad you posted this as I am also looking into a new computer and curious as to the response. I spoke with the tech. guy for my new embroidery machine and he also stated as in your post yesterday to stay with XP. I have considered building my own as techman states but like you I am not sure of all the tech. specs and matching all the correct parts so it will work well. Good luck.

Thanks RCook

and some ADD drugs did wonders for me.
Before the pills I wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes on a computer build.

mark in tx

I've bought 2 new computers from Dell this past month, haven't had any complaints. The only thing I customized was more ram, bigger hard drives, and better graphics cards, not the integrated graphics.

There are pros and cons for either build it yourself, or order from a manufacturer.
You'll have to decide for yourself, but the thing that really made me order from dell is the service agreement. I used to buy my computers from a local shop, but their service went downhill.

curtrnev

Build YouOwn

We bought a laptop hp nx7400 and had the desktop built by the I.T. guy I use at my job. There is no better feeling than talking to someone you know and who also lives in the U.S.A. no outsourceing here.

KNC Dsigns

Shovelhead

and unlike Dell support.....

We bought a laptop hp nx7400 and had the desktop built by the I.T. guy I use at my job. There is no better feeling than talking to someone you know and who also lives in the U.S.A. no outsourceing here.

KNC Dsigns

When your IT guy tells you that his name is Sam, it's really Sam!!!!!!
You all know what I mean.

Techman

I use dells for just about every thing.
I only build custom if I cannot get a dell that has the ports I need. Most of the older sign equipment uses serial ports.

The computer world is changing fast. You have to keep up every day or you will lose it. I think in about 3 years it will pass me by. Lately I been doing lots of laptops and desktops reverting them back to XP.
Vista has too many phone home systems (48) within it to suit my paranoya..

So,if buying a Dell
Get it with XP..
Make sure you get the ports you need. Some are short serial ports. some are short parallel. Firewire and usb are usually no problem.

mark in tx

If you buy a Dell through the Small Business portal, and you get a service agreement other than the standard, no cost agreement, you will get customer service from here in the states.
No talking to "Fred" with an accent from New Delhi.

Dell also has a PCI card with the serial ports. You just have to dig around the web site a bit.

Richard Flint

I can hand letter but I can't build a computer!
Even though I've been using 'em for quite some time now, Hell....even one of 'em is a Mac! The truth is I just don't have the interest in learning how to build one. I'm lucky in the fact that I have a computer guru/web master friend to handle all that stuff. Just had him build me a custom one with all the bells and whistles that will handle our new wide format digital printer coming soon.

My point being.....if you don't know what operating system is right for your needs, find a local experienced computer person to help you out!