Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to find a 30 Gallon Cardboard Drum

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by briankb, Oct 5, 2012.

1. briankb

briankb Active Member

Jul 7, 2009
    I purchased a set of Rockler dust separator elbows but I need to find a 30 gallon drum to use for collecting the dust.

I've looked them up online and they are quite expensive plus the shipping costs are high.

Does anyone have an idea of the type of local supplier that might carry these? Or better yet have some used that they will just throw away or sale very cheap?

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    Brian floor lever used to come in them.

3. Farmboy

Farmboy Active Member

Feb 8, 2007
    Auburn, NY
    Why couldn't you rig up a 30 gallon garbage can?

4. briankb

briankb Active Member

Jul 7, 2009
    I might use a garbage can but I was hoping to find one of those containers.

5. DizzyMarkus

DizzyMarkus Active Member

Jan 23, 2012
    We got a bunch of those from our local Pasta sauce makers lol -- Do you have any factories (small or not) around you may go ask for one?

Markus

6. briankb

briankb Active Member

Jul 7, 2009
    There are a few just north of me in Alachua; boat, battery, and Sabien. The only thing I remember seeing in those is soap flakes. But I'm sure there are other uses. I hope our local italian place doesn't buy their sauce by the barrel. :)

I'll call around and see if I can find one. Thanks for the suggestion.

7. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    sonotube - avail at any hardware store - cut to size and seal the ends

8. 2B

2B Moderator

May 5, 2011
    TX
    We have access to plastic 55 gal drums with the clamp style lids, took a little engineering but they are an easy DIY weekend project

9. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    No help finding a barrel just an FYI. Make sure to run a grounded, bare copper wire completely through your dust collection system. This gives static electricity a path and prevents dust explosions/fires.

10. ChicagoGraphics

ChicagoGraphics Major Contributor

Feb 27, 2007
    World
    Call up some bigger screen print compaines that mix up there own pigments they come in 30 gallon cardboard drums.

11. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    I use a plastic trash can. And a thein separator. Works very good. The bags have just about 2 inches in the bottom after 8 months of using the thein separator and the plastic trash can.

http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/cy.htm

12. ChiknNutz

ChiknNutz Major Contributor

Apr 18, 2003
    If you've not already looked into this, consider building yourself a Thien separator, it will work FAR better than just with the elbows. Without the separator, you will notice "scrubbing" where the dust and debris will begin to get sucked into the vacuum as the container fills up. The separator allows you to fill the container w/o this "scrubbing" issue.

Regarding the cardboard drum, not sure, but I used a large plastic one about 8 gallons or so.

13. ChiknNutz

ChiknNutz Major Contributor

Apr 18, 2003
    Looks like the TechMan beat me to it...

14. briankb

briankb Active Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Good stuff guys thanks!

I will look into the Thien setup. Maybe I will just return these vortex elbows along with a router plate that doesn't fit.

Will a standard copper grounding wire from romex work, or should I get an actual grounding rod for the dust container?

15. qmr55

qmr55 Very Active Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Yardville NJ
    Brian I have multiple 55 gal plastic drums with two holes in the top and you can have one if you'd like. PM me if you want it.

16. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
  17. briankb

briankb Active Member

Jul 7, 2009
    @qmr55 thanks but I think I'm going to try and make a thien collector this weekend and use a standard (cheap) metal or plastic trash can. I will need to make a circle cutting jig but I already have the scraps of MDF to make one. Not sure if I will use my vortex connectors but they should work.

18. briankb

briankb Active Member

Jul 7, 2009
    @Pat Whatley - good find!!! this is what I was hoping for, some industry I'm not familiar. looks like these are used for live stock feed. and there are plenty of live stock farms in my area.

19. briankb

briankb Active Member

Jul 7, 2009
    guess we need a lmgtfy.com for craigslist :)