• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Where to find a 30 Gallon Cardboard Drum

briankb

Premium Subscriber
I purchased a set of Rockler dust separator elbows but I need to find a 30 gallon drum to use for collecting the dust.

I've looked them up online and they are quite expensive plus the shipping costs are high.

Does anyone have an idea of the type of local supplier that might carry these? Or better yet have some used that they will just throw away or sale very cheap?

Attachments

• cardboard-container-drum.jpg
    cardboard-container-drum.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 94

DizzyMarkus

We got a bunch of those from our local Pasta sauce makers lol -- Do you have any factories (small or not) around you may go ask for one?

Markus

briankb

Premium Subscriber
There are a few just north of me in Alachua; boat, battery, and Sabien. The only thing I remember seeing in those is soap flakes. But I'm sure there are other uses. I hope our local italian place doesn't buy their sauce by the barrel. :)

I'll call around and see if I can find one. Thanks for the suggestion.

rjssigns

No help finding a barrel just an FYI. Make sure to run a grounded, bare copper wire completely through your dust collection system. This gives static electricity a path and prevents dust explosions/fires.

ChiknNutz

If you've not already looked into this, consider building yourself a Thien separator, it will work FAR better than just with the elbows. Without the separator, you will notice "scrubbing" where the dust and debris will begin to get sucked into the vacuum as the container fills up. The separator allows you to fill the container w/o this "scrubbing" issue.

Regarding the cardboard drum, not sure, but I used a large plastic one about 8 gallons or so.

briankb

Premium Subscriber
Good stuff guys thanks!

I will look into the Thien setup. Maybe I will just return these vortex elbows along with a router plate that doesn't fit.

Will a standard copper grounding wire from romex work, or should I get an actual grounding rod for the dust container?

qmr55

Brian I have multiple 55 gal plastic drums with two holes in the top and you can have one if you'd like. PM me if you want it.

briankb

Premium Subscriber
@qmr55 thanks but I think I'm going to try and make a thien collector this weekend and use a standard (cheap) metal or plastic trash can. I will need to make a circle cutting jig but I already have the scraps of MDF to make one. Not sure if I will use my vortex connectors but they should work.

briankb

Premium Subscriber
@Pat Whatley - good find!!! this is what I was hoping for, some industry I'm not familiar. looks like these are used for live stock feed. and there are plenty of live stock farms in my area.