• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Which CNC if you were me

dbot

So we about to pull the trigger on a new CNC machine. We have never owned one but our business has grown to the stage where we have to now purchase a unit.

Spent the last few months trying to decide between a Cutting Table (Esko or Zund) or a CNC router. We have decided a router with a camera and tangential / oscillating knife. Reason is price and more sturdy milling operation which will take up 80% of its work.

Now comes down to which machine to buy. We have narrowed it down to 2 options.
1. Multicam Sign Maker
2. ShopSabre

With both machines speced exactly the same in terms of spindle power, blower (vacuum) and camera and knife functionality the shopsabre comes in about 15% cheaper. and with cheaper cost you also get ball and screw in all axis, slightly bigger bed size and higher gantry.

With this in mind it would seem a no brainer to go for the shopsabre, however our dilemma is as follows.

We have no local support for the shopsabre and so it will all have to come from the factory, this however is their business model, they offer full remote support for the life of the machine.

Multicam will offer support from neighboring country South Africa with their dealer based about 800miles from us.

Because it is our first machine we are a little concerned that having support based so far away will create some problems and worry that shipping out possible parts in the future will out weigh the cost saving.

If you were me which machine would purchase. The cost saving at the initial stage is a real pull for us but would hate to regret down the line.

vincesigns

We are looking at upgrading to a new router from our 10 year old AXYZ and Multicam is in the lead. We are a wholesale fabricator of ADA signs to Sign Companies and the overwhelming number of our customers that have CNC Routers own and swear by their Multicam's

DerbyCitySignGuy

I'd err on the side of caution, as well; no one can guarantee that they won't have issues with their machines. Having to pay a technician out of pocket if something goes wrong with the Shopsabre isn't going to be cheap.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
My only experience was with 3 different Multicams and they were great, dependable routers. Close service and good training will be the key though.

The heavier built routers will allow you to cut faster with cleaner edges and your bits will last longer. The heavier more robust motors will allow you to cut thicker aluminum and wood as well.

The weight in the motor and the frame of the router helps dampen the vibrations leaving the cleaner edges.

When we bought ours there were several styles of vacuum hold downs. Do your research and figure out what works best for your situation now and and in the future - High Volume - Low Pressure or Low Volume - High Pressure and a few variations in between.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Multicams are great- but I personally wish the Sign Maker series had a 144" option, instead of topping out at 10'!

dbot

Thanks for all the suggestions. Not sure its the answer i was looking for, but thats what advice is for i suppose. Really didn't feel like spending and extra 10K+