Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which direction do main board ribbons go?

Discussion in 'Mimaki' started by artbot, Jul 25, 2012.

1. artbot

artbot Very Active Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Houston TX
    i took detailed photos of the removal of the main board of my jv3 for diagnosis. but, they ended up corrupted and won't open.

now that i am putting it back, i am confused about some odd labeling i did on them with a sharpie.

please look at the attached photo. it shows the first/top ribbon (mcn6). does the white face up or the words on the ribbon face up?

thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. SightLine

SightLine Very Active Member

Looks like you have it in the right direction. Look close in the socket on the board, one side will have the contacts which mate with the exposed contacts on one side of the end of the cables. Might have to use a flashlight and magnifying glass to see them. Make sure the release part of the socket is in the out position before inserting the cable, then push it back in to lock the cable. Did Kent find any problems with the board?

3. artbot

Feb 18, 2010
    Houston TX
    no. not the main board, or slider board, and the encoder sensor came out fine too. so he sent me a new slider to test.

i'm wondering if reinstalling the firmware might help the "printing nothing" issue.

as for "seeing" the contacts. i tried that, magnifying glass and everything. maybe a macro with a camera?

4. round man

round man Active Member

Oct 16, 2005
    it should be obvious, the bare part of the ribbon cable should contact the metal contacts in the ribbon receptacle when inserted on the lock/release side of the receptacle then snap the lock in place to hold the ribbon cable secure

5. artbot

Feb 18, 2010
    Houston TX
    if my head could fit in there i'd be able to see them. i have one idea, camera phone. it can go where my cranium can't. 'bout to try that out.

6. SightLine

SightLine Very Active Member

Lol. Either way, generally, the exposed connector part of the cable faces away from the locking side of the ribbon socket. In your picture the top visible socket has it's lock on the bottom, the indicated front most cable by your thumb is facing the right direction to insert in that socket.

7. ruckusman

ruckusman Member

Feb 24, 2011
    Check the numbers on the cables, with the group the way they are in the pic, they'll only be in the right number order with the connectors facing the correct direction

peace out