• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

which direction do main board ribbons go?

artbot

i took detailed photos of the removal of the main board of my jv3 for diagnosis. but, they ended up corrupted and won't open.

now that i am putting it back, i am confused about some odd labeling i did on them with a sharpie.

please look at the attached photo. it shows the first/top ribbon (mcn6). does the white face up or the words on the ribbon face up?

thanks in advance!

Attachments

• main board ribbons.jpg
    main board ribbons.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 112

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Looks like you have it in the right direction. Look close in the socket on the board, one side will have the contacts which mate with the exposed contacts on one side of the end of the cables. Might have to use a flashlight and magnifying glass to see them. Make sure the release part of the socket is in the out position before inserting the cable, then push it back in to lock the cable. Did Kent find any problems with the board?

artbot

no. not the main board, or slider board, and the encoder sensor came out fine too. so he sent me a new slider to test.

i'm wondering if reinstalling the firmware might help the "printing nothing" issue.

as for "seeing" the contacts. i tried that, magnifying glass and everything. maybe a macro with a camera?

round man

it should be obvious, the bare part of the ribbon cable should contact the metal contacts in the ribbon receptacle when inserted on the lock/release side of the receptacle then snap the lock in place to hold the ribbon cable secure

artbot

if my head could fit in there i'd be able to see them. i have one idea, camera phone. it can go where my cranium can't. 'bout to try that out.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Lol. Either way, generally, the exposed connector part of the cable faces away from the locking side of the ribbon socket. In your picture the top visible socket has it's lock on the bottom, the indicated front most cable by your thumb is facing the right direction to insert in that socket.

ruckusman

Check the numbers on the cables, with the group the way they are in the pic, they'll only be in the right number order with the connectors facing the correct direction

peace out