• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Which eco solvent is best for an office environment?

PrintItBig

Hi,

We're looking for an external printer that we can use in an office environment. I know latex is ideal for this but unfortunately it doesn't seem to print well on the materials we need. So unless I'm missing something, this seems to leave us with eco solvent.

Question... Which eco solvent printer is most suitable for this type of environment while still maintaining good print durability (Particularly scratch resistance)?

Thanks.

johnnysigns

I used to work in close proximity to a Mutoh Valuejet and that thing screwed me all up. If you're doing eco-solvent I'd still work out a powered venting setup.

MikeD

Most of them have fume extraction fans as an option. Island Air makes a product that will take most of the VOC's out of the air in the print area. Most printers have the same durability when run with similar profiles on the same media. For true abrasion protection, use an over-laminate.
Good Luck!

CanuckSigns

We have a roland sp540, it doesn't even have ports to hook up an exhaust system to it, we are in the process of making an exhaust system for it as I'm tired of the headaches I get from printing long runs with it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you want to use eco inks, they're all the same. Eco is eco and that's all that's to it. The machine it comes out of won't do a thing for you.

You want a safe office printer, go with aqueous. Otherwise, your question is like asking which gun do I buy to shoot pigeons...... a 12 gauge, 16, 20 or 410 ?? They all do the same thing.... shoot. It's what your comfortable with in using.

According to the size of your office and amount of ventilation you have access to should be your concern. The room housing our eco printer is about 32' x 40'. That's in our front office. The circulation or air flow is rather good, so we don't seem to have any problems.

Jack Knight1979

We have a roland sp540, it doesn't even have ports to hook up an exhaust system to it, we are in the process of making an exhaust system for it as I'm tired of the headaches I get from printing long runs with it.

Watson, I took a 4.125" hole saw to the top of my 745ex and hooked up dryer vent to it, piped to squirrel cage, and turbine style exhaust fans bought off ebay.

It does a good job, but decided that I needed to cover the print area, so made a curtain out of welders curtain that drapes the print area similar to the island air extraction system. It works pretty well, but I would rather have the printer in it's own room. For now it's in the production area. A large amount of the odor is removed from the exhaust system. W/out the fans on, I can't be around the printer.

I basically made a 5k inland system for about 300 bucks.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
eco = economy, not eco friendly, if thats what your thinking.
You best re-think your thinking there, Wiggie.

It has everything to do with being environmentally friendlier than most solvent inks. Has nothing to do with economy, unless you feel saving money has something to do with making it somewhat safer to deal with up close. Yeah, that's the ticket.... you use this safer ink and you'll save on your hospital bill down the road, since you only used less harmful elements in your line of work.......... :doh:

Less solvents mean cheaper ink thus economy and eco friendly(er)

Or more expensive wussy solvents?

I run a fan on my desk that makes like a air barrier to the fumes and blows them into another part of the warehouse lol

C

ColoPrinthead

I used to work in close proximity to a Mutoh Valuejet and that thing screwed me all up. If you're doing eco-solvent I'd still work out a powered venting setup.
I've never met anyone who has had this problem, what does it feel like?

PrintItBig

what are you printing that latex can't. i haven't had any problems with my HP

Our main concern is roller / retractable banners and PVC / scrim type banners with hems and eyelets etc

The latex seems to have trouble with lay flat, light block roller banner material. We just don't seem to be able to find a suitable material at the moment. We really like the Soyang Soflat stuff but this won't work with the Latex due to the heat.

We've also had some samples done for us on PVC banner and the ink just comes off too easily we're just not sure it's durable enough.

Are you producing these sort of products with the latex?

PrintItBig

My only problem is the price....and I hear they use a lot of power to heat

Actually where we are the HP is pretty reasonably priced. With the rebates etc it comes to about £11,500 without a rip. I got a quote on a JV33 (with rip) at £18,500.

I really really wanted the HP to work out I'm just not sure it's right for what we do.

401Graphics

My printer is 3 feet away from my desk and it doesn't bother me. The only time i have ever smelled just a little bit of fumes is if I'm printing non stop for like an hour or 2