• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Which Gerber Edge printer should I get?

outacontrol41

I'm using Flexi Sign Pro 7.6v2 in my sign business and would like to branch into decal and label making using thermal printing. I don't particularly care to upgrade my software, I see in the list of supported printer drivers the Gerber Edge 1, 2 , and FX. My question is which one or will all of these machines work with my older software? I'd love to get an FX don't need any compatibility problems. Also should mention my computer is running XP.

Jburns

I have owned several Gerber printers, and have run them off Flexi (8.1) and Omega. Flexi takes some time to setup but it was my first time using the software with the printer. Omega is a little better suited in a workflow sense.
I really like the Edge 2, prints at 600x300DPI, and durable like older versions. I never have owned an FX but have seen here and there that they can have more issues- they do have more internal moving parts.
Foils are aplenty on the used market for the Edge 1 (LE) and 2. I would not go trunnion ( opens from the side not front) due to its age.
Make sure you see a FULL Bock print test- to be sure that the unit is not missing any pixels. Also shipping is not easy - heads need to be strapped or secured, and in original box or similar. I have sold several edge printers, and have my own way of shipping.
Also I recommend you pick up a Gerber cutter - its the easiest and most efficient way to cut the decals. (Disclaimer- I have a edge GS15 Plus cutter for sale in classifieds)

outacontrol41

I have owned several Gerber printers, and have run them off Flexi (8.1) and Omega. Flexi takes some time to setup but it was my first time using the software with the printer. Omega is a little better suited in a workflow sense.
I really like the Edge 2, prints at 600x300DPI, and durable like older versions. I never have owned an FX but have seen here and there that they can have more issues- they do have more internal moving parts.
Foils are aplenty on the used market for the Edge 1 (LE) and 2. I would not go trunnion ( opens from the side not front) due to its age.
Make sure you see a FULL Bock print test- to be sure that the unit is not missing any pixels. Also shipping is not easy - heads need to be strapped or secured, and in original box or similar. I have sold several edge printers, and have my own way of shipping.
Also I recommend you pick up a Gerber cutter - its the easiest and most efficient way to cut the decals. (Disclaimer- I have a edge GS15 Plus cutter for sale in classifieds)

Thank you very much for this valuable information. I think I'll be hunting for a Edge2 / Gerber cutter combo.

outacontrol41

How does the Edge 2 load the foils, similar to the FX just slide in or the three prong deal like the classic? Also, does it use the older style serial port and cable?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The Edge Classic, LE and Two will all accept a parallel port connection. Only plotters use the serial port connection.

Joe House

The FX only has Ethernet connection. More reliable and no (practical) length limits.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk