• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Which Grommets?

brycesteiner

I'm looking at getting another batch of self piercing #2 grommets.

The first batch I got worked pretty well until I got my latest roll of gloss 13 oz banner material (Arlon DPF 313) and it doesn't want to seem to punch through three layers on the corners.

I'm wondering if it's because I bought cheap brass grommet sets off Ebay. Probably so, but I haven't had problems until this gloss, which probably put the cheap grommets at its limit. Though the 13oz gloss Zeelon doesn't have problems.

Is there grommets that are better at going through than others? Brass or Nickel?

Thanks!
Bryce

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I've had good luck with Fasnap self piercing grommets even in our no-name (cheap) hand press. We get them from Gregory.
Definitely had trouble in the corners when we run out and have to pick up some generic refills from our local supplier.

wayne k
guam usa

TXFB.INS

we always match the grommet to the press, we have a hiker and get the grommets from Reece. the hiker grommets are always same price or cheaper than the 3rd party ones

fresh

I always order grommets from the same place I order almost everything else. One day, I decide to try out a new vendor who has been soliciting us FOREVER. Their grommets cost significantly less than the ones I had been ordering, and I needed more, so I place the order (along with a few other items.) Neither place notes the brand, and since we've always gotten the same thing, I didn't even think there could be a difference.

OMG. These grommets were terrible! They didn't pierce well, they didn't clamp together well, they were so thin in comparison. I could easily bend the disk piece with my fingers.

So my advice is don't try to save $15 on a bag of 500 grommets, because it will only wind come back to haunt you. Same thing with banner material. We get head strikes with the cheap crap.

Bretbyron

The grommets need to be matched to the dies in your press. I went with King Richards Co. dies and grommets on our kick press.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
The grommets need to be matched to the dies in your press. I went with King Richards Co. dies and grommets on our kick press.

Sort of.

Grommets are standard sizes, a #2 grommet is a #2 grommet**. The dies in any given press should be machined for these standard sizes, not vice versa.

**Notably excepted are el cheapo grommets and presses emanating from the Pacific Rim. With these you pays your money and you takes your chances. However, any name brand press with whatever size die should work with any standard grommet of the same size.

brycesteiner

OMG. These grommets were terrible! They didn't pierce well, they didn't clamp together well, they were so thin in comparison. I could easily bend the disk piece with my fingers.

the back ring on mine are like that. I can easily bend these with between my fingers.

My theory is the top piece is pretty good but the ring in the back is too thin and bends or fails to hold in place for the top piece to cut cleanly.