Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which is better latex vs solvent vs laser?

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by JBurton, Feb 26, 2020.

1. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    For a desktop printer? Anybody have a recommendation on high volume monochrome printer? I've always been a fan of lasers, but it kills me to pay for the name brand toner, and off brand stuff is hot garbage.

Sorry for the trolling thread title, figured it would get some views...

Tags:
    • Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  2. Notarealsignguy

Notarealsignguy Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    Used to buy nice lasers and they didnt last, plus consumables were $$$. We moved onto low end brother lasers. So far so good and not so painful to trash when they crap the bed. Toner is expensive but you're not getting away from that any way you go. We also have a low end canon color laser and its crap but works.

3. dypinc

dypinc Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2011
    Here
    How large a volume are you doing? Might be worth looking into leasing, I know that xerox for example leases low end laser like the phasers.

4. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    We went that route several years back and found we were below their real money saving volume. Estimating 2k pages per month, never getting the 2,400 pages the high yield cartridges advertise.

Mind sharing a model number?

I am not locked in to a laser printer necessarily, it's just fast and as far as I know it is the most economical. I keep hearing about the eco tank printers, and we have one for large/presentation prints (has only printed 200 or so pages, so can't get a good idea of volume/consumption/costs), but it's for the sales folks, not accounting. Accounting doesn't deserve color pages evidently. Anybody have one that does get used at this volume? Is the ink actually cheap?

5. Solventinkjet

Solventinkjet DIY Printer Fixing Guide

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    +1 on Brother printers. Any current model will work fine. We use the L2370DW model.

6. netsol

netsol Member

Apr 26, 2016
    spotswood, nj
    we have a client who balks at paying the price of a decent hp laser & purchases a brother instead. then after printing a while, it is time to replace the imaging drum component & she puts one more brother printer in the junkroom downstairs...

with the hp's the imaging drum is part of the toner cartridge and is replaced with it.
    you can use after market toner & save quite a bit
    long term i have never had a good experience with brother

• Like Like x 1
  7. Notarealsignguy

Notarealsignguy Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    2700 and 2350 I think? Had some okis, they print real nice but never got more than a year from them. To be fair, 1 may have been a power spike and think my wife ruined the other but wont fess up. The okis are really well built and heavy. Fire up fast and have multiple tray options.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  8. Notarealsignguy

Notarealsignguy Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    Then you have an overpriced toner. HP is the king of selling parts.
    Im not a fan of aftermarket toner, too many issues with them leaking, wiping off, not meeting stated yields etc. there are better ways to save money

9. wes70

wes70 Very Active Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Canada
    We have the Brother L2550DW and liking it so far.

10. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    For invoicing, PO's, etc...we run a $99 Brother from Walmart. Might be on it's third high yield cart, two for sure. One man shop so not exactly a "power user".

In my office I'm rockin' a HP Laserjet 1300. Gotta be 20 years old. Running toner carts from Amazon, 28 bucks for three high yield carts and it hasn't quit yet.
    If this one goes bang I have another one on the shelf.;)

11. bannertime

bannertime "You guys do banners, right?"

Sep 8, 2016
    Arlington, TX
    For inkjet users, I highly recommend the Arthur Imaging inks from Amazon. I've been using them for about 3 years now. Has saved me hundreds if not a thousand or more dollars. I run a crappy Canon 920 something that had good reviews. It works, but it's far too slow.

12. ABA Visibility Products

ABA Visibility Products Merchant Member

Jan 3, 2019
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I'd love to see a latex desktop printer. You hit print on an email, wait two minutes for it to warm up, 20 seconds to print, 5 minutes to cure and cool down and a minute to check the printer. And then you can take your paper....

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 4
  13. TomK

TomK Member

Sep 22, 2015
    Virginia
    So you want a desktop heater that can print?

14. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Old HP's were workhorses and last forever and were super cheap to run. New HPs are disposable and costly to run.

I have a Canon mfb34cdw and it's great for office use. Cheap toners are OK although the quality goes down the longer you run them. I keep the OEM carts in the cabinet for when I need a crisp print... otherwise generics are fine.

15. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I've had so many issues with third party inks that I'm starting to lose faith. It's bad when you start buying two different brands just in case one is bunk. Then when I do have a fine experience with a set of inks, they are no longer sold by the same distributor, just a totally new very colorful logo from jetbizprintMAX or whatever.
    We have a hp 118 and two bigger multifunctions that manage alright, but the accounting office likes copies of everything, so the monochrome 118 gets the most use. Currently, if it runs duplex, it will make about 1/4 of the page black, front and back!
    But thanks all! I'm going to give a Brother a shot.

16. Notarealsignguy

Notarealsignguy Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    We have that same printer. I hate it, touch screen sucks, its slow, small paper tray and print quality is crap. Ive come real close to pulling an office space on that damn thing.
    Have you tried the fake toners in it? Thing starts banging with them. I can hear it in the next room. Im keeping my fingers crossed for a lightning strike so I dont feel bad putting it in the dumpster.

17. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    lol, yes mine bangs too with the fake toners... so did the HP that it replaced. My HP was shitty as hell and this one seems like an upgrade. Screen is slow and you have to press hard but still BETTER than HPs. So far this one is better and yea the paper tray is small but no different then the last two I had. At least the scan function is simple... One or two clicks on the printer and its scans directly to my computer.

18. Notarealsignguy

Notarealsignguy Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    Im gonna press that screen with a baseball bat one day. Whats so wrong with buttons? It was on sale real cheap.... I know thats why you bought it too. Thing takes up half your desk and holds like 20 sheets. God i hate it.

19. Bly

Bly Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Sydney
    UV naturally

20. Ian Stewart-Koster

Ian Stewart-Koster Active Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Qld, Australia
    Lexmark. I've used four B&W laser printers over the last 21 years. Two the same Optra-S 1625, and now two of the T430 model. They're ancient.
    Non-genine toner always- via Ebay. around $100 for the high-yield 16k pages Never a problem., except maybe 8-10k is more like it. They just last us really well.
    To me, the value is 100%, and the print cost per page is about 10 pages per one cent toner cost.