• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Which is has the most aggressive vinyl?

Kottwitz-Graphics

I am going to order some printed vinyl from Signs365 for some Yeti Cups. I usually order the 3M ControlTac IJ-180C (wrap film) for other projects, and have done a couple of cups for my wife, but I know she washes them by hand, and there are no issues. I just don't know how the customer will treat the cups, and I don't want to get a call in 2 months that they are coming off, because they stuck them in a diswasher...

I have applied the 3M IJ-35C and it seems more "aggressive".

What would be the better material to use?

CanuckSigns

I would think the wrap film would be better at dealing with the extreme temperature in a dishwasher, but for maximum durability get them laser engraved, or at the least UV printed.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I didn't know you could put that stuff in a dishwasher at all. I thought it was illegal to put those kinda inks on ANYTHING that is machine washable. Once in there, with or without laminate, those chemicals to a certain degree are heated up and eventually end up on eating and drinking surfaces.

When screen printing years ago, we hadda use specific inks only for things going into a dishwasher, let alone mugs or other things a toddler might chew on.

Wanna use it for home use, that's one thing, but selling it or giving it to others is a whole nother story.

I didn't know you could put that stuff in a dishwasher at all. I thought it was illegal to put those kinda inks on ANYTHING that is machine washable. Once in there, with or without laminate, those chemicals to a certain degree are heated up and eventually end up on eating and drinking surfaces.

When screen printing years ago, we hadda use specific inks only for things going into a dishwasher, let alone mugs or other things a toddler might chew on.

Wanna use it for home use, that's one thing, but selling it or giving it to others is a whole nother story.

That's a very honest approach, but did you know in the US it's perfectly legal to sell 5g sugar bags with 'SUGARFREE' label on it since the product contains 5g or less sugar?
The ink is pure pigment in solvent carrier liquid that evaporates leaving behind only the pigment encapsulated in the vinyl but the 'cooked' vinyl and what it comes out of it is probably toxic anyway.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Good point, but not exactly the same idea.

What goes into the pigments to be converted by the solvents ?? Are the pigments vegetable base or some other organic eatible product ?? Try doing this in California and see how far ya get. As for Europe, their rules and stipulations may be different than over here.