• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Which Laminator Should I Buy?

quikseps

Opening a contract output shop with 2 SolJet III's and need some advice on cold laminators

The place I'm dealing with sells Daige Quikmount 4 machines and I was thinking about buyung a 65" model however to me these look kinda "shaky". I absolutely need a machine that can do a good job without continual headaches. Any opinions are appreciated immensely.

Maybe these cheap Daige laminators are okay? I don't know so thus the reason for my concerns.

BTW...I'm a burnt out screen printer of 25 years looking for something new and "clean". Hopefully this works out!

Steve

mgraef27

I have the 38" Quikmount 4, it sucks but cant beat it for the price. The take up roll almost never works, I end up rolling it by hand.

:beer

quikseps

Was just looking at this "Pro Lam" sold by Sign Supply USA and the "Enduralam" sold by Signwarehouse...these appear very similar. Any experiences or recommendations on these?

flat rock stan

Was just looking at this "Pro Lam" sold by Sign Supply USA and the "Enduralam" sold by Signwarehouse...these appear very similar. Any experiences or recommendations on these?
I was just getting ready to pm you to see what kind of laminator you have! I just received a price quote 2,495 for a BU-1600 II 60” machine but don’t know anything about it. How does that price compare? :thumb:
Stan

MobileImpact

Thats kinda a loaded question. Almost like asking what kind of car should I buy? You can get to work in a 72 chevy vega or a 2007 H3. Both of them get you there. Do you need all the bells and whistles of the H3, to get to work...no. Are they nice...sometimes. Same kinda thing with your laminator, you get what you pay for. Nothing wrong with the Daige, however there are some other cold laminators I would prefer over it.

Look at the Seal and GBC brands. Do not discount a dual laminator with a heating element. Again, bells and whistles, but there have been times that I wish I had a hot laminator on certain projects.

Best of Luck

Kevin

quikseps

I was just getting ready to pm you to see what kind of laminator you have! I just received a price quote 2,495 for a BU-1600 II 60” machine but don’t know anything about it. How does that price compare? :thumb:
Stan

Exactly what laminator is this BU-1600 II and where can I see it?

I just got off the phone with Sign Supply USA regarding their SS Pro-Lam 63" cold laminator. Price $4,995. At least this looks like a real machine when compared to that Daige unit (not buying the Daige...no frigin way).

I'm going to check this one out on Tuesday...Bill from Sign Supply USA in New Jersey is going to take me to a customer that has one in use. I'll post what I think here Tuesday night.

Also...any opinions on the Royal Sovereign units? These are a bit more $$$ than the Pro-Lam.

Steve

mbarden

Don't forget Royal Soveriegn I have a 60" with heat assist. Very heavy unit, can do top and bottom lamination and laminate up to 7/16th.
Just got to learn how to wrestle with it and your good to go.
Mike B

ChicagoGraphics

I remember when we bought our first laminator way back when, it was a Daige
it worked once. Then the motor broke, so they sent me a new motor, put the new one in, then that motor broke in the middle of a print. So the third motor they sent me it was twice the size of the first 2, and the tools you needed to install the motor, were not your everyday tools. So by that time I was so pissed off I put it back in the box and shipped it back to them on there expense, and demanded a 100% refund, I think there laminators are worst then the China made ones.

Mardi

The only laminator I have ever used was a Seal (hot/cold) awesome machine. Might be pricey but is a workhorse. If you are planning in using it daily and a lot, I suggest you invest in a good machine so you do not end up kicking yourself latter.

bigbly

I have a Seal Image 62 Plus great machine pricey but well worth it hardly ever screw up a job these days

Flame

That thing is a Ding Tec. You could probably get a cheaper one from www.pacificcoastsignsupply.com .

I have a Ding Tec, and while it's a Chinese cheapo... it's an energizier bunny. It just keeps on going, and going, and going, and going, and going...

kirkbedtelyon

I have an Enduralam from Sign Warehouse. I believe the manufacture is Ding (China product). So far it's worked great right from the start. No screw ups at all. It's hefty at 500lbs plus and does the job.

I've heard the new Daige Quickmount 4 is not bad for the money but (looking at the photos) I definately think the Enduralam is worth the extra bucks.

Kirk

PS Don't think Sign Warehouse's prices are written in stone. Make an offer - you may be surprised!

CarNate69

I have a Daige 3 and it's a workhorse. I don't care how basic they look, laminators are nothing more then 2 rollers squeezing something.

I use a sled with my Soljet and it work's wonderfully everytime.

Very very small learning curve, but still, highly effective.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
A Big squeegee would be, by far, your best choice. No monthly payments, goes anywhere, and don't take up half the shop. More importantly, you will have a greater success rate than you would with some of the temper-mental roll laminators. The Big Squeegee has no adjustments so you could be playing around with adjustments on the roll laminator or you could be done with the Big Squeegee.

Okay so some might argue that once the roll laminator is set up right, it goes much faster. However, if you need to use a different laminate than what is loaded in the roll laminator then you could get the job done faster with the Big Squeegee. Plus, you would not have to waste webbing materials in the process.

A Big Squeegee will do your lamination's until you have defined your needs through experience so you will be better able to determine if you need a roll laminator.

Checkers

If you're opening up a "contract shop" I assum it means that you plan on doing a lot of printing. So, as much as I think most of the other recommendations may be ok for a smaller shop, you're going to need something a little more automated.
I would recommend that you investigate Seal or GBC and get heated rollers. I would also recommend that whatever you buy, you get it locally, from a company that can offer same or next day support when, not "if", something goes wrong.

Checkers

quikseps

Tons of great advice guys...I appreciate it! Going to spend a few additional weeks researching prior to actually buying.

Right now I really can't go $20,000 for a high-end laminator though...gotta keep it to about $5K - $6K tops. Setting this fairly substantial shop up without any leasing....(can't stand those things). Years back I put several large and very expensive automatic screen printing presses on lease. Its great in the beginning but after a few years those payments begin to get painful.

Steve

Mason

Ive got a Diage Q3 38" and it is a bit quirky at times but it seems like the best for the bucks and its always done a good job by me..