• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Which one goes first? Mounting or Lamination?

aaronchan

Dear all,

I'm trying to mount some back adhesive paper on regular foam board, then to laminate it.
But which one should I do first? Mounting or Laminating?

Thanks
Aaron (Newbie on mounting)

aaronchan

Laminate first then mount

Just curious, any reason?

I have done both way but since I'm a newbie, both didn't come out too well.
But seems like the way you said creates less horizontal roller mark by some how.
How come? Is that because the back paper pressed on the foam board and created a horizontal line on it?

Thanks
Aaron

Stormyj

Just another guy
Are you using a hand roller? Most companies have large hot/cold laminaters and laminate the material before mounting onto an substrate or equipment. I dont have a laminater, but use a big squeegee, or the one I made anyway. Works ok, but does have problems sometimes.

AF

Just curious, any reason?

I have done both way but since I'm a newbie, both didn't come out too well.
But seems like the way you said creates less horizontal roller mark by some how.
How come? Is that because the back paper pressed on the foam board and created a horizontal line on it?

Thanks
Aaron

Laminate first, and practice until you get the process perfected. Roller marks means you are stopping during the process, don't do that. When you start the rolling action you must continue until finished or the piece is ruined. Your machine has manual pressure knobs, so your learning curve will be steep and expensive.