• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Which one would you get?

Petros72

Hello,

We are looking to purchase a laminator for the first time and have narrowed it down to a couple of choices but we are not certain what will work best for us. We plan using it for whatever we can i.e. posters, vehicle graphics, rigid boards, banners-long & short, etc.

We have narrowed it down to:
Royal Sovereign RSC 1651 LHS (heat assisted) and a Seal 65 EL (cold only).

We are newbies at this and need a machine that can do as much as possible and is easy to use with good results - so here goes..

-Which of the 2 would you pick and why?
-Is one easier to thread and use than the other?
-Does one yield better results than the other (specific to the media being laminated)?
-Is heat assist necessary? (many people here say they never use it)
-Any options available that are helpful?
-Feel free to share anything else you feel is important to know or be aware of.

We are not trying to pit any one manufacturer against another (from what I've seen this happens here sometimes), we've just narrowed it down to these 2 and are just nervous about shelling out the cash for a piece of equipment we do not fully understand and now how to use (but need to purchase relatively soon).

From the research we have done so far, we are leaning towards the Seal.

Thank you in advance for your input

rjssigns

We only have experience with a RS 1650(no heat). It has done everything we need it to do for the last seven years.

If I were in the market now I'd look at the USTech. Major bang for the buck. Some members here have them and are quite pleased with their performance.

One thing to know about laminating no matter what you buy: From webbing up to long runs you will need to learn what the laminator likes or it will make you do this:banghead:

"Five hours to make a print, five seconds for the laminator to ruin it"

Petros72

So the RS if fine, that's good to know.

We've seen a few posts about the USTech but as newbies we were a bit concerned about the ease of use. Judging by your last comment, that really doesn't matter due to a learning curve.. we'll do some more research.

Thanks for the info!

Petros72

Wow, that's 2 for the USTech.. giving them a call today. Thanks for the info!

Would love to hear more from anyone who is willing to share.

We had a royal sovereign cold laminator. Worked really well for most stuff. Would tend to skew a lot on coro. for some reason. Also could only do about 20 feet or so before I would have to reset everything. As long as your not doing long runs. Maybe only messed up 2 or 3 prints in a year with that laminator.

fresh

We've had no problems with our US Tech Cold Laminator. Its the only laminator I've ever had, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but we like it.

rjssigns

We had a royal sovereign cold laminator. Worked really well for most stuff. Would tend to skew a lot on coro. for some reason. Also could only do about 20 feet or so before I would have to reset everything. As long as your not doing long runs. Maybe only messed up 2 or 3 prints in a year with that laminator.

Odd you had skewing. We've done many full rolls with our RS and it drifted about 1/2" consistently.

It did "eat" a lot of product until I figured out how to run it. Although I feel it is the same with any laminator.

There was a little chunk out of the very far edge of the roller. I didn't really think that was the problem as the laminating never really touched that area. But maybe that was what the skewing was from.

chandrinator

My thanks too!

I am going through the same choice right now, my search was narrowed down to exactly what you have! USTech would have been my third choice with RSC first and Seal second. Looks like I am revising my list! Thank you for your post, and to everyone who responded! :rock-n-roll:

If you only do a lot of sheeting to sublstrates and not a lot of laminating prints only. Try a desert laminator. This is the best thing besides a rolls roller for making sheeted flat panel signs.