• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Which printer do I buy?

Hey everyone. I currently have a mutoh vj1324. Its old and needs to be replaced soon. Do I go HP latex? A newer mutoh? any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!

Nanci

Hey everyone. I currently have a mutoh vj1324. Its old and needs to be replaced soon. Do I go HP latex? A newer mutoh? any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!
I bought a Mutoh 1624 last spring. I’ve been very happy with it. The 1000ml inks last a long time and there is little waste. The cost was reasonable. It’s a big printer though. It does take space.

rjssigns

All new printers do a great job. Buy from the place in your town or as close as possible to your shop. All printers break and if you're like me you want a tech on site within hours, not days.

Something else to consider is what your needs are. I never print full rolls and make good money on what others would throw out as scrap. Even though I wired my office for a latex I bought another solvent. Mutoh 1624x will be delivered next week.

SignMakeHer

I bought a Mutoh 1624 last spring. I’ve been very happy with it. The 1000ml inks last a long time and there is little waste. The cost was reasonable. It’s a big printer though. It does take space.
I'm in a space without a window. Does this printer smell like chemicals when you print? Everyone keeps recommending HP Latex printer saying it's best for a shop without adequate ventilation.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Also, depends on your learning curve. How long will it take to hone all your old skills to new technology..... seriously. Also, if repeat works comes in, will you be able to satisfy without going crazy ?? Not to mention, if you hafta replace something here or there and match your surroundings.

SignMakeHer

We do recommend the Hp latex 365 series. It is 64" wide and has a lower operating cost. No smell and very quick drying. like 60 seconds or less. thx Plottermaster
Thanks so much for your feedback, Gino. Is the electrical side with the 220v hard to setup? My office and shop are inside a building with other businesses. Is there a quick and simple way to deal with the power supply right in my workspace? I can't find any info on this. Thanks again!
Heather

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Is your present printer properly vented and filtered to the outside of the building ?? If not, you might hafta go with Latex.... although they should be filtered and vented to be perfectly safe and non-liable, also.

Joe House

Thanks so much for your feedback, Gino. Is the electrical side with the 220v hard to setup? My office and shop are inside a building with other businesses. Is there a quick and simple way to deal with the power supply right in my workspace? I can't find any info on this. Thanks again!

You'll need to get with your landlord and a qualified electrician for this (don't trust your brother-in-law's cousin Eddie for this job). This is probably the biggest objection to HP Latex that we run into. Your dealer should give you a site survey that goes over all the space, environmental and electrical issues that you may run into. The easiest thing is to give the electrical section to your electrician and get a quote for the job.