Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion Which printer do I buy?

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by Thomas Fischetti, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Thomas Fischetti

Thomas Fischetti Member

Oct 19, 2017
    salt lake city, Utah
    Hey everyone. I currently have a mutoh vj1324. Its old and needs to be replaced soon. Do I go HP latex? A newer mutoh? any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!

Tags:
  2. klingsdesigns

klingsdesigns Very Active Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Epson s80600

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Nanci

Nanci New Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Plymouth, Massachusetts
    I bought a Mutoh 1624 last spring. I’ve been very happy with it. The 1000ml inks last a long time and there is little waste. The cost was reasonable. It’s a big printer though. It does take space.

4. ikarasu

ikarasu Very Active Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Port Coquitlam, bc
    Get an HP Latex R2000.

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  5. rjssigns

rjssigns Premium Subscriber

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    All new printers do a great job. Buy from the place in your town or as close as possible to your shop. All printers break and if you're like me you want a tech on site within hours, not days.

Something else to consider is what your needs are. I never print full rolls and make good money on what others would throw out as scrap. Even though I wired my office for a latex I bought another solvent. Mutoh 1624x will be delivered next week.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Carlos Valencia

Carlos Valencia Member

Oct 14, 2018
    Dallas Tx
    I would go with a latex for sure. quick dry, ease and low cost maintenance,

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2019
  7. BigBoyMs

BigBoyMs New Member

Jun 21, 2018
    Moore. Ok
    Have you been happy with the VJ1324? I 2as thinking about buying one of those from Sign warehouse.

8. SignMakeHer

SignMakeHer New Member

May 4, 2019
    New York
    I'm in a space without a window. Does this printer smell like chemicals when you print? Everyone keeps recommending HP Latex printer saying it's best for a shop without adequate ventilation.

9. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Also, depends on your learning curve. How long will it take to hone all your old skills to new technology..... seriously. Also, if repeat works comes in, will you be able to satisfy without going crazy ?? Not to mention, if you hafta replace something here or there and match your surroundings.

10. SignMakeHer

SignMakeHer New Member

May 4, 2019
    New York
    Thanks so much for your feedback, Gino. Is the electrical side with the 220v hard to setup? My office and shop are inside a building with other businesses. Is there a quick and simple way to deal with the power supply right in my workspace? I can't find any info on this. Thanks again!
    Heather

11. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Is your present printer properly vented and filtered to the outside of the building ?? If not, you might hafta go with Latex.... although they should be filtered and vented to be perfectly safe and non-liable, also.

12. Joe House

Joe House Active Member

Feb 5, 2004
    WA
    You'll need to get with your landlord and a qualified electrician for this (don't trust your brother-in-law's cousin Eddie for this job). This is probably the biggest objection to HP Latex that we run into. Your dealer should give you a site survey that goes over all the space, environmental and electrical issues that you may run into. The easiest thing is to give the electrical section to your electrician and get a quote for the job.