• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Which RIP software do you use ?

Chrxs

Hello folks,
I'm very new to this forum but I'm interested in which software you work with for ripping. I am using Caldera RIP right now because it features a lot of different possibilities and because it's easy to get a workflow despite 10 machines with matching results!

thanks for your answers!

kind reagrds!

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Big fan of onyx but all I have to compare it to is Rasterlink. Rasterlink acts and feels like it was made a million years ago so from that to onyx was a dream.

I can’t imagine there’s much difference between that and caldera so you’re probably already using the right software if you’re running 11 printers and getting reliable results.

Chrxs

Big fan of onyx but all I have to compare it to is Rasterlink. Rasterlink acts and feels like it was made a million years ago so from that to onyx was a dream.

I can’t imagine there’s much difference between that and caldera so you’re probably already using the right software if you’re running 11 printers and getting reliable results.

Ah, i heard a lot about onyx rip, which version do you use ? I am just looking for an alternative with the same functions and possibility.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Ah, i heard a lot about onyx rip, which version do you use ? I am just looking for an alternative with the same functions and possibility.

we use 19 still. It does everything we need it to and more but I can’t imagine it’ll be cheap to get 11 printers changed over to onyx.

If you’re looking for the same Functions as you have already, why the change?

Ahmed Samy Nagada

Wasatch is more user friendly than Onyx and Caldera. Only thing that might bother you is if you need to make some color adjustments as it wont let you do that easily.

TomK

Flexi and Rasterlink 6 since Flexi doesn't support the white and clear options for the Mimaki UV printers yet.

Chrxs

we use 19 still. It does everything we need it to and more but I can’t imagine it’ll be cheap to get 11 printers changed over to onyx.

If you’re looking for the same Functions as you have already, why the change?
You are totally right, should stick with the working status quo but got told from different friends who are in the same busines that there would be less ripping time. And dont get me wrong, we are talking about seconds but the amount matters! But in my opinion the RIP software isn't responsible for the long "RIPping time" but memory and processor are! Tell me if I'm wrong here...

rjssigns

Flexi right now and probably until I retire. Had ErgoSoft but they wouldn't let me upgrade or run my current version so there it sits.(not going into details) Wrote it off as a loss.
I've run others but they aren't relevant to the conversation.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
You are totally right, should stick with the working status quo but got told from different friends who are in the same busines that there would be less ripping time. And dont get me wrong, we are talking about seconds but the amount matters! But in my opinion the RIP software isn't responsible for the long "RIPping time" but memory and processor are! Tell me if I'm wrong here...

Well yes, if you want faster ripping times, you need a better processor. Not so much RAM.

Im not sure how caldera work with how many images it can RIP at once, but onyx will do 2 files per printer licence. if you have 1 printer, it'll RIP 2 files at a time. 2 printer licences, 4 files at a time and so on.

Generally speaking, Each RIP Engine uses 1 CPU core to process the file. Onyx X21 finally uses multithreading to RIP images which has made it quite a bit faster.
Depending how many printers you have, but i think it's wise these days to have at least 6 cores minimum.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
But in my opinion the RIP software isn't responsible for the long "RIPping time" but memory and processor are! Tell me if I'm wrong here..

If you're printing to 11 machines from one computer, the processor is your biggest asset. As posted above, each RIP engine will use a single core so if you have fewer than that, it's going to slow things down a bit. Some processors have fancy architecture that simulates more threads and that helps as well.

Geoff Hoegberg

Onyx thrive x21.
Hi, we're looking to upgrade from Thrive 18 to 21. Are you having any issues, and/or can you provide a brief review of any new features i.e. better labeling, swatchbook 2.0, etc. that are working better than the previous version?

Thanks in advance!