• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Which size Laminator with 54' Printer?

splizaat

Hey guys...just pulled the trigger on a Roland VS540i (YAYYYYY!) and now we're needing a laminator. I have read nothing but great things about the USTECH laminators so that's what I'm currently looking at. My question is, should I be looking at a 55" or a 64" USTECH Laminator? Space IS a little bit of an issue, price is not.

Do any of you with 54" Printers and 55" Laminators wish that you had gone with a 64" laminator? Do you see any reason I should not got for a 54"? Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on this subject.

splizaat

I figured that may be one of the responses....but are the UStech laminators going to last another six years? That's how long it was before we went from our smaller printer to this new one. I know most people are using 66/64" Laminators with their 54" printers, but aside from possibly upgrading printers later on is there any reason to go bigger? Substrates are usually 48" for print/mounts...I'm debating because of space

DigiPrinter

My opinion would be to go with the 55" laminator. Since your only printing 54" then why the need for a larger laminator? You can get a lot done with 54" material. If you upgrade down the road to larger printer then maybe you'd want to go larger with the laminator too. I have a 64" printer and 54" laminator. Only thing I run through the printer larger than 54" is 63" banner material and no need to laminate that. Have fun with your toy.

player

Even with 54" prints I find the extra width of my 65" laminator nice. I would recommended the 65"...

Dennis422

I have bought UsTech MVT500 and I like it.
I got 55" one ONLY because I have space limitations. On that model, 65" one was only a $100 more than a 55".
If you go that route and have room, get the 65" model. I have 60" HP L25500 printer, but even with 55" laminator, I have to squeeze around it so 65" was out of question.

Go with the bigger one.

rjssigns

We run a 65" RS with our 54" Roland. It was a package deal. If I get a wider printer at least I don't have to buy another laminator.

splizaat

After reading lots and lots of posts on here about USTECH laminators, pulled the trigger with dave at bestdgi today on an AK600. Took your guys' advice and went with the wider laminator just in case anything else pops up that's larger than expected. Excited to see it in person! Hopefully it lives up to it's hype!

Dennis422

You would be better with MVT model. Worth extra money
Electronic up/down works well for me. Set it up once and be done. Now you have to mess with knobs every time you thread.
Not saying this one is bad, but MVT is more practical

splizaat

My biggest debate was MVT vs AK model. I went with the AK because I'm a small one-man shop operating out of my house (with occasional helpers) and we're coming off a manual 38" daige and it didn't really bother me too much on the knobs - plus, coming from china, it just made more moving parts possible to break. I actually don't leave the laminator threaded all the time, we thread it everytime we use it. And so far we've also used a second person to pull the liner rather than using a take up system (this may change).

My process may be a little long-winded, but in seven years I've messed one print up, so I don't mind taking the extra time to thread it with an extra set of hands real quick.

I think I made the right decision, since we don't laminate every single day, and we're not a super high-volume shop.

Printmaine

Hey guys...just pulled the trigger on a Roland VS540i (YAYYYYY!) and now we're needing a laminator. I have read nothing but great things about the USTECH laminators so that's what I'm currently looking at. My question is, should I be looking at a 55" or a 64" USTECH Laminator? Space IS a little bit of an issue, price is not.

Do any of you with 54" Printers and 55" Laminators wish that you had gone with a 64" laminator? Do you see any reason I should not got for a 54"? Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on this subject.

If you have the space go big.