• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Which vinyl is used in the Justin Pate Video's please.

simpson246

Hi all, I've just finished watching the 3 CD's from Justin Pate and must say, they are well worth getting!

In the video, they use Premium Avery Supreme Wrapping film which has the pressure sensitive adhesive.

I've decided to try my first wrap using this film as I can use a lot of techniques from the videos of how to deal with the film but I'm after a supplier in the U.K.

I've had a look around and can find a few suppliers supplying other avery vinyl although I'm unsure if it's the same sort or if the name given from the video isnt the entire name.

All help will be great,

Thanks,

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Wrap film needs to be cast, thin (2mil) & have an air release system in the glue to allow air to escape during installation.
All of the big name brands will have this type of film and will work the same as the Avery wrap film. The differences will be the initial tack, how well it stretches/conforms & how easily you can lift and reposition without it tearing or separating from the glue.
If you can't find Avery over there see what your suppliers have in a cast film and what options they have for a matching laminate that will be needed if the wrap involves printed film.

wayne k
guam usa

jasonx

Hi all, I've just finished watching the 3 CD's from Justin Pate and must say, they are well worth getting!

In the video, they use Premium Avery Supreme Wrapping film which has the pressure sensitive adhesive.

I've decided to try my first wrap using this film as I can use a lot of techniques from the videos of how to deal with the film but I'm after a supplier in the U.K.

I've had a look around and can find a few suppliers supplying other avery vinyl although I'm unsure if it's the same sort or if the name given from the video isnt the entire name.

All help will be great,

Thanks,

jump on uksignboards.com and get the Sign UK Toolbar it will list tones of suppliers for your country.

simpson246

thanks for the replies.

I've just contacted Spandex so will await reply.

I know this vinyl is classed as Premium vinyl but is it classed as 'cast' film too?

thanks,

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
In parts of those newer videos he uses pre-pigmented Avery Supreme with easy apply(air egress) RS(re-positionable) adhesive. Other parts that are printed are on Avery Supercast easy apply RS.
In earlier videos, he used to use 3M IJ180C, before he was paid by Avery and Mutoh in the training capacity. He used to say "3M was the best hands down" which he can't say now for obvious reasons..but doesn't mean he doesn't still believe that. (wink wink)
Cast IS premium vinyl. Installation success is more about your skill, technique and experience with vinyl and not so much about which vinyl you use. You won't be flying through installations like him for some time. Practice practice practice.

johnnysigns

I would take that ^^^ with a grain of salt. 3M has changed a whole helluva lot since plain 180c was available and I spent all day dicking around w/the new Avery stuff and it's pretty slick.

CheapVehicleWrap

I would take that ^^^ with a grain of salt. 3M has changed a whole helluva lot since plain 180c was available and I spent all day dicking around w/the new Avery stuff and it's pretty slick.

Agreed. Is 3M still manufacturing wrap vinyl? There are several good alternatives now.

simpson246

hi all, thanks for the input.

I've just heard back from Spandex and received a quote of £550 + VAT so roughly £660 for a 25m Roll.

I think that price is pretty steep.. even though it does have a 12 year life which isn't really needed.

I'm wondering what other brands out there fit my requirements? It would need the airealease technology and I would like it to have the pressure sensitive adhesive - I don't think 12 year life is needed either, many 5-7 years or so.

Any recommendations please?

(United Kingdom Supplier needed)

Many thanks,

jasonx

In parts of those newer videos he uses pre-pigmented Avery Supreme with easy apply(air egress) RS(re-positionable) adhesive. Other parts that are printed are on Avery Supercast easy apply RS.
In earlier videos, he used to use 3M IJ180C, before he was paid by Avery and Mutoh in the training capacity. He used to say "3M was the best hands down" which he can't say now for obvious reasons..but doesn't mean he doesn't still believe that. (wink wink)
Cast IS premium vinyl. Installation success is more about your skill, technique and experience with vinyl and not so much about which vinyl you use. You won't be flying through installations like him for some time. Practice practice practice.

You'll find that was the case before he moved to Europe. 3M isn't as dominant over there in the wrapping films. They have Oracal, Hexis, Metamark etc which all have product offerings within that space.

simpson246

hi all, thanks for the input.

I've just heard back from Spandex and received a quote of £550 + VAT so roughly £660 for a 25m Roll.

I think that price is pretty steep.. even though it does have a 12 year life which isn't really needed.

I'm wondering what other brands out there fit my requirements? It would need the airealease technology and I would like it to have the pressure sensitive adhesive - I don't think 12 year life is needed either, many 5-7 years or so.

Any recommendations please?

(United Kingdom Supplier needed)

Many thanks,

Thanks for the replies all, can anyone help with this?

cheers,

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps

Sounds like you were "dicking around" with the non RS version. I hate that stuff...but I've found the RS version to be VERY slide-able before applying pressure.
As for 3M...I still use 180c "plain". I don't use the V3. Haven't notice a change either. I guess we just have different experiences with the vinyl we're using.
I get mine from Fellers which uses climate control in their warehouses so it's always fresher than the other suppliers (wink wink) lol

johnnysigns

Agreed, I'd take plain 180c anyday over V3, but w/ all this Original Wraps business I don't know I'll be suggesting MMM to my printers any longer.

The avery I was using was 1005 w/ the 1360 lam and the solid SWF stuff.

phototec

I took Justin Pate's 2-day Mutoh sponsored wrap training class at Sign Warehouse two years ago, and we used the Avery Supercast easy apply RS to wrap a SUV and a box truck with rivets, it was pretty good and fairly easy to work with. In the first day of instruction, Justin had some mmm film and the Avery Supercast, and he showed the class some different test he preformed using both products, and the Avery Supercast beat out the mmm film every time.

I haven't used any Avery Supercast since the the wrap class, I like Oracal 3951 RA (mmm bad for business, because there are steeling our customers).

Anyone wanting to lean vehicle wrap techniques, Justin Pate's video's are a great wealth of information, there are very few installers in the world who have wrapped as many vehicles as Justin has in his career.

Justin wrapped 89 (yes 89) Prius' for CoStar's in just 22 days (see video).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FqPEtTBLL8

:smile:

Attachments

• Sign-article-Oktober-797x1024.jpg
    Sign-article-Oktober-797x1024.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 98