• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Which way to go................??

Gino

Premium Subscriber
A little background first.
We have CS3 on two of our computers and CS2 on another one in the computer room.

We have a fourth computer in the office which doesn't have any of this kinda software on it at all.

We have two servers, a rip computer and a spare with none of that kinda software either.

I'd like to upgrade, so I figure I can upgrade the three for whatever the cost of upgrading is whenever I want, but the fourth one in the office is gonna need a complete new version.

Who/which Merchant Member on s101 has the best prices on doing this ?? I think we're gonna do this in sections, unless someone has a great deal.
:peace!: Anyone wanna tell me where to look for good deals on this stuff ??

:thankyou: Gino

jfiscus

Rap Master
I believe CS6 is now subscription based, so you are not going to have th ebig hit you're thinking at once... is that correct?

If the computers are old enough to be running CS2&# then they are probably 32bit operating systems, correct? (Win XP?) You're going to want to go to Windows 7 to take better advantage of the 64 bit CS6 & the additional RAM (all it can take if possible!) that CS6 will suck up. So, you may be out a bit of extra change for new systems that way.

HulkSmash

Amazon.com for all your pc hardware needs.

Gino shoot me an email, ill help you get a nice setup for cheap, you know my email.

CS-SignSupply-TT

Gino, not that I am a computer guru (Bobby will readily tell you so), but if you have a ROBUST network and server, why not go with laptops as replacements?

GB2

Old Member
Gino, if you are talking about upgrading your software, the Adobe CS6 can be purchased or upgraded as a stand alone software or now can be a subscription based option. The license for the software allows you to install it on two compters per license, so to equip 4 compters you need 2 copies of the program. If you are talking about upgrading computers, which you probably need to do, then that's entirely another issue. Now 64 bit operating systems are the standard, which will work with the Adobe CS6 but you might have issues with other old software or computer based equipment at your shop.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We're putting 7 on all the computers and we're already at 64 bit. Our ram will be around 6 or 8 gigs, I think. The rip and flatbed are 12 gigs.

Question..... having one license to run two computers.... isn't that more for one user having it on two separate computers and only one computer/licensed program will work at a time ?? So, if I had it on my laptop and my shop computer... more than likely, I wont be on both at the same time. Or... can I put it on two side by side workstations and two people at the same time can be using the same licensed program ??

Mike F

Question..... having one license to run two computers.... isn't that more for one user having it on two separate computers and only one computer/licensed program will work at a time ?? So, if I had it on my laptop and my shop computer... more than likely, I wont be on both at the same time. Or... can I put it on two side by side workstations and two people at the same time can be using the same licensed program ??

The prepress guys here run a piece of software called Preps that we only have one license for, and only one person can be running it at a time. I would imagine Adobe (and most other software these days) works the same way.

SignBurst PCs

Gino, We are Adobe Certified resellers an Sales Professionals. I can help you with the upgrades and set you up with volume licensing.

vid

...Or... can I put it on two side by side workstations and two people at the same time can be using the same licensed program ??

No. You'll need a license for each computer.

The license does allow use on two machines not in concurrent use --- , as you've noted in your example of desktop and laptop installs.​

SignBurst PCs

We're putting 7 on all the computers and we're already at 64 bit. Our ram will be around 6 or 8 gigs, I think. The rip and flatbed are 12 gigs.

"2.1.3 Portable or Home Computer Use. Subject to the restrictions set forth in Section 2.1.4, the primary user of the Computer on which the Software is installed under Section 2.1 (“Primary User”) may install a second copy of the Software for his or her exclusive use on either a portable Computer or a Computer located at his or her home, provided that the Software on the portable or home Computer is not used at the same time as the Software on the primary Computer.

2.1.4 Restrictions on Secondary Use by Volume Licensees. If the Software was obtained under an Adobe volume license program or agreement (such as Adobe Volume Licensing) by any licensee other than an educational volume licensee, then the second copy of the Software made under Section 2.1.3 must be used solely for the benefit and business of that volume licensee."

Basically, one license, one WORK computer. You can install a 2nd copy on a HOME or PORTABLE computer, as per Adobe's EULA. They are not supposed to be run at the same time. CS6 is getting a little more strict about the activations as well. Here is a link to the EULA.

WildWestDesigns

Basically, one license, one WORK computer. You can install a 2nd copy on a HOME or PORTABLE computer, as per Adobe's EULA. They are not supposed to be run at the same time. CS6 is getting a little more strict about the activations as well. Here is a link to the EULA.

Now I heard that Adobe wants you to create an account when you activate and that would make it easier to check and make sure people don't transfer their old programs to other people. So those that buy used for CS6 and after might have it harder to get those student/teacher editions. Unless the accounts go with the software. I'm sure eventually something would make that harder to do as well.

SignBurst PCs

CS6 does want you to create an account to register it. I don't know that this has anything to do with transfers. Adobe has always had a fairly hassle-free method of ownership transfer.

WildWestDesigns

CS6 does want you to create an account to register it. I don't know that this has anything to do with transfers. Adobe has always had a fairly hassle-free method of ownership transfer.

For the full commercial versions, but what about those that want try to skirt with the Student/Teacher editions?