• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Which X-Rite i1 Models Are Compatible With VersaWorks?

player

I want to get a used i1. I am assuming an older i1 Pro would be better than no i1?

In VW under Preferences it has 2 Settings drop-downs:

1: Hardware Settings (for Media Explorer)
Model: GretagMacbeth Spctroscan; X-Rite DTP41; GretagMacbeth EyeOne; X-Rite DTP20; X-Rite EyeOneIO; and X-Rite i1Sis

2: Hardware Settings )for Spot and Special Color)
Model: GretagMacbeth Spectrolino; GretagMacbeth EyeOne; X-Rite DTP20

So I would assume one of the bottom models is what to get so I could use both functions.

I sometimes see on eBay X-Rite i1 Pro units. When I look them up they are older, as the i1 Pro shows there is an i1 Pro 2 etc now.

Would the i1 Pro work for the GretagMacbeth EyeOne setting? Or any other settings?

Any info on this will be appreciated.

Thanks

Ragnabrok

last time I saw one being used in VW was about 5 years ago, it was an i1.

Using it for linearizing profiles, or colour switching?

player

last time I saw one being used in VW was about 5 years ago, it was an i1.

Using it for linearizing profiles, or colour switching?

I have a VP540i printer. I read on different threads here that without calibrating, the system is not all it can be.

I want more accurate colours. Spot colours and photo images...

I want to calibrate my monitors, and printer.

Would you tell me what it's about?

Years ago I had an X-Rite densitometer. I would print coloured squares then clunk the box shaped X-Rite like a stapler on each square. I was using Onyx Postershop Pro and and an Encad printer. Later an HP.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
The i1Pro 2 works in Versaworks so I reckon the i1Pro should work fine using the GretagMacbeth EyeOne setting also.
I've had the Pro2 since about a week after it was released, and read documentation saying it will run in compatibility mode (pretending it's an i1Pro v1) when needed and it works perfectly fine in Versaworks 4.x and 5.x versions.
Not even sure if Roland have upgraded their software to take any advantage of the newer i1 Pro models.

player

Well I bought an i1 Pro Profiler kit. Apparently never used, and the software is from 2011.

I hope it's worth the hassle.

HandsomeBob

I have an older Eye-One device. The software is from 2005 to give you an idea. of its age.

I am trying to make media profiles through VersaWorks and VersaWorks Dual but have been unsuccessful.

I get through printing the colors chips and even calibrating the device but when it comes to scanning the color chips I get the error code 4087.

I am thinking that the driver in VersaWorks for the Eye-One is for a later version of the device.

Does anyone have suggestions on what i should do next.

Are there other techniques suggested for creating the profiles?

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Look up the error. Also if your device is that old, you should probably get it ready calibrated.

Edit:
This error typically occurs when attempting to read Linearization (calibration) charts in the media explorer on VersaWorks. To resolve this issue, change the englargement in queue A to 110% before printing printing the charts. This error is more common when using the EyeOne device.

Last edited:

FrankW

The i1 was originally developped by a swiss company named GretagMacbeth. This company and the technology is bought by XRite several years ago. The technology is compatible, even if „GretagMacbeth“ is shown up in the software, as with the i1 Pro 2 too.

VersaWorks only supports Linearization, no ICC-Profiling, so with versaworks only you will not achieve maximal color accuracy. What means there is additional software needed. The i1 is delivered with some, earlier versions with i1 Match, newer with i1 Profiler. IMPORTANT: to do profiling for Large Format RIP‘s, the software needs the ability to create CMYK-Profiles. Depending on the i1 package bought, the CMYK-Profiling option ist not available in the software. Licence Information is written into the device and can be checked with the i1 diagnostics tool.

There are profiling tutorials for VersaWorks available on the internet. There are some settings which are important, specially how to set versaworks when printing externally generated icc-swatches.

HandsomeBob

Look up the error. Also if your device is that old, you should probably get it ready calibrated.

Edit:

Getting the eye-one calibrated would probably cost more than a new device.
I have tried the printing the chart at 110% - - didn't work.

I am to the point where i am considering purchasing a new device. Most of the devices shown in the device list of Versaworks are EXPENSIVE. Is there an inexpensive solution to linearizing in Versaworks?

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Getting the eye-one calibrated would probably cost more than a new device.
I have tried the printing the chart at 110% - - didn't work.

I am to the point where i am considering purchasing a new device. Most of the devices shown in the device list of Versaworks are EXPENSIVE. Is there an inexpensive solution to linearizing in Versaworks?

First, download this https://www.xrite.com/service-support/product-support/formulation-and-qc-software/i1profiler. See if anything works, if your device works.
Software is free, The key to unlock features is inside the device.

IMO Invest in something worth while. Because it can really increase the print quality of your shop.

I have no exp with Versaworks, Is there a device list for what you can use? Are you able to post it? Because from what i gather from the original post, it's limited. If that's the case You'd want an X-rite i1 Pro 2. You can either get the cheapest package which is the i1 basic kit. The software will be locked to calibrating your monitor, but the device will work with any other program as intended.
But IMO if you get the 1i pro publish you'll be able to create icc profiles, cal your monitor and scanners. The software is pretty powerful with it's features.

HandsomeBob

here is the list from Versaworks:

GretagMacbeth EyeOne
GretagMacbeth Spectroscan
X-Rite DTP41
X-Rite DTP20
X-Rite EyeOneIO
X-Rite i1iSis

I will use your link and check out my device and get back. This may take several days for me. It's a combination of busy and lazy.

Thank you for the help.:)

IDB Signs

There are profiling tutorials for VersaWorks available on the internet. There are some settings which are important, specially how to set versaworks when printing externally generated icc-swatches.

Might you have a link to the info on setting VW for printing externally generated swatches? I have been researching and slowly trying to get our Color Management in place for a few months now and have had several issues. I have found a few various PDFs from Roland detailing the process, but they weren't totally up to date it seemed, and I didn't have good results. We have an older i1Pro. I have several things I need to clarify about the whole process still, but at the moment, when utilizing the printer profile I made, everything is extremely heavy on the Cyan and has a blue tint to it. I didn't change anything when printing our swatches, so I am fairly sure now that they were 'managed' before being printed. May not be the end solution, but I know it is one step I need. Thanks guys and gals!