• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

White board on standoffs!!!! Polycarb or Acrylic???? and Thickness????

I'm doing a 4' x 8' white board on standoffs!!!! This need to be on a Clear with a light opacity frost film 2nd surface (so you can see the wall graphics) but my question is......

How thick would you go? 1/4" 3/8", 1/2" ?????? half inch is about 75lbs

thoughts on going with a Polycarbonate over an Acrylic?

Attachments

• Wall-One (1).jpg
    Wall-One (1).jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 120

J Hill Designs

Doing a 4' x 8' White board on standoffs!!!! This need to be on Clear with a light opacity Frosted film behind it (so you can see the wall graphics) but my question are......

How thick would you go? 1/4" 3/8", 1/2" ?????? half inch is about 75lbs

thoughts on going with a Polycarbonate over an Acrylic?

I'd probably spec 3/8 acrylic

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
Wow you're enthusiastic this morning! A few too many cups of coffee?? LOL
I would say 3/8" and use polycarbonate. The biggest issue I can see if that it will flex in the middle as people are writing on it which may be an issue for the customer, plus with that much flex you are going to want the polycarb which will be stronger. Also make sure you make the mounting holes in the panel for the standoffs larger to allow for some of that flex. You may also want to get the ones that have a set screw to lock them down so that they can't be easily unscrewed and risk the panel falling on someones foot and breaking it. On second thought, 1/2" may be better to keep it from flexing.

rossmosh

First, why not P99 or P95 acrylic. Comes frosted and ready to go.

Second, I agree that flexing is your biggest issue. 3/8" should be pretty rigid. 1/2" shouldn't flex at all.

Third, I don't buy that glass is more expensive than acrylic. A lot of people have no idea how expensive sheet acrylic is and they just assume glass is more expensive.

pjfmeister

We just did one of these same type jobs for an insurance co meeting room. 4'x6' dry erase white board mounted on a wall. We went with glass. The glass company installed for us on a very nice low profile track. The glass was cheaper and very rigid also works better with dry erase. We reverse mounted graphics on the one we did...

visual800

I would do 1/4" clear poly with shallow standoffs. I would not want this to be more tahn 1/2 protrusion from wall and its is going to have to have some bumpers in the middle, no exception