• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

White ink in the next HP latex

bigben

A little birdie told me the next generation of the 500 series will have white ink... I'm sure, on day, there will be one and I hope what I've heard is true. I'm waiting for this to change my L26500. If it is not in the next gen, I'll go with the mimaki UCJV series.

Dukenukem117

I've been waiting for this as well! Hope your little birds are right!

I've never ran white ink before, but if we wanted to print on something dark, would it be safe to assume that it would take twice as much ink and twice as much time?

bigben

I've never ran white ink before, but if we wanted to print on something dark, would it be safe to assume that it would take twice as much ink and twice as much time?

If I base the time with the latex flatbed, yes it take almost twice the time.

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
If HP does add white to the R2R latex, I would assume it would have the same/similar delivery system as the R-Series flatbed. When white is not in use, the white can be set to recirculate to keep the ink from separating, and the white head can be completely removed and is stored in a mechanism that keeps the head in motion. This is different than the FB series in which white would have to be purged from the system, and required a tremendous amount of ink to flush, and replace with LC or LM (can't recall which).

It would seem like they would need to slow the printer down when printing white, especially if white is printed underneath color to make sure that the white cures properly. They may be able to accomodate this by adding another curing zone, but that seems unlikely. I would expect a big price increase to accommodate this addition. If they can get it right, it would be a good feature, but getting the opacity and durability is going to be a tall order for latex R2R in my opinion. From what I've seen on the R-Series, the white looks amazing.

bigben

If HP does add white to the R2R latex, I would assume it would have the same/similar delivery system as the R-Series flatbed. When white is not in use, the white can be set to recirculate to keep the ink from separating, and the white head can be completely removed and is stored in a mechanism that keeps the head in motion. This is different than the FB series in which white would have to be purged from the system, and required a tremendous amount of ink to flush, and replace with LC or LM (can't recall which).

It would seem like they would need to slow the printer down when printing white, especially if white is printed underneath color to make sure that the white cures properly. They may be able to accomodate this by adding another curing zone, but that seems unlikely. I would expect a big price increase to accommodate this addition. If they can get it right, it would be a good feature, but getting the opacity and durability is going to be a tall order for latex R2R in my opinion. From what I've seen on the R-Series, the white looks amazing.

From the informations I've got, and they may not be true, the white ink would work the same way as the R series. HP want to compete with the Mimaki UCJV since their sales are great since it came out. So I assume the price point would be similar to to UCJV series.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
From the informations I've got, and they may not be true, the white ink would work the same way as the R series. HP want to compete with the Mimaki UCJV since their sales are great since it came out. So I assume the price point would be similar to to UCJV series.

It will be faster and less expensive than the UCJV.

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
I would look for announcements like the leading up to the major shows... Print United (SGIA), ISA, DRUPA, FESPA. They would most likely do private demos to dealers and key customers first, then make a market announcement leading up to a show. That's basically the model they followed with the R-Series.

bigben

I would look for announcements like the leading up to the major shows... Print United (SGIA), ISA, DRUPA, FESPA. They would most likely do private demos to dealers and key customers first, then make a market announcement leading up to a show. That's basically the model they followed with the R-Series.

So would you say this announcement would be in the next 6 months, a year or more?

Mike Perth

We’re in the same boat as you bigben and nursing our L26500 until the next model arrives. Fingers crossed that it arrives sooner than later with white ink!

MikePro

you want white, and wanna stick with HP? look into their new R-series hybrids. super sexy, and the white printhead is removed and placed into a rotating drum to keep from wasting white ink/printheads when not in use.

bigben

you want white, and wanna stick with HP? look into their new R-series hybrids. super sexy, and the white printhead is removed and placed into a rotating drum to keep from wasting white ink/printheads when not in use.

I know that. But don't have the 200k+ budget and space to have it right now.