• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions white ink printer suggestion

bigben

So I'm starting to look out for a new roll-to-roll printer or entry level hybrid printer with white ink. I will mostly use it to print white on clear material to create effect like snow or dust. I will kinda making my own frosted vinyl instead of using the fasara catalog. I would also like to be able to create double sided print using multiple layer of print.

What do you suggest?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Mimaki UJV150 or 300. It's a UV based roll to roll printer and does great white printing. Mimaki will send you samples if you contact them.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
do you mean the UCJV300? If so, it is the first one I was looking for.

Yeah. They are coming out with more models later on and I forgot they aren't out yet. Eventually they will have a printer only option. The UCJV just means it has a cutter on it. The UCJV150 is cheaper but it doesn't do white so that is out. The UCJV300 is what we are running in our shop as a demo right now and works really well. You can do exactly what you are wanting to do, print different layers so you can do simple double sided prints. Not only that but you can even make backlit signs that have a certain look when the light is off and then changes when the back light is on. It's really cool.

bigben

I would prefer a model without the cutter. So If you tell me they are coming out the same type without the cutter, I will wait for this one. I did not find the answer but can you give me an idea of the print speed for a 5 layers print (for double sided)? Also, do you know if it can take thicker material like styrene or something similar?

Sindex Printing

I have a mutoh 1638uh uv printer. It prints white and varnish. I am currently working with axiom and Mutoh on an issue printing on 6mil epanel.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I would prefer a model without the cutter. So If you tell me they are coming out the same type without the cutter, I will wait for this one. I did not find the answer but can you give me an idea of the print speed for a 5 layers print (for double sided)? Also, do you know if it can take thicker material like styrene or something similar?

I only heard it through my Mimaki sales rep in passing and he made it sound like they were at least a year out. I figure they are trying to see how well the UCJV does before committing.

bmt Promotions

bmt Promotions
Mimaki UJV150 or 300. It's a UV based roll to roll printer and does great white printing. Mimaki will send you samples if you contact them.

Loretta

Yeah. They are coming out with more models later on and I forgot they aren't out yet. Eventually they will have a printer only option. The UCJV just means it has a cutter on it. The UCJV150 is cheaper but it doesn't do white so that is out. The UCJV300 is what we are running in our shop as a demo right now and works really well. You can do exactly what you are wanting to do, print different layers so you can do simple double sided prints. Not only that but you can even make backlit signs that have a certain look when the light is off and then changes when the back light is on. It's really cool.
Have you had any issues with the white cracking? I recently purchased the UCJV300 and have been very disappointed with it. I chose this one because I wanted to be able to print white. Have found that printed colors without white are fine, but add a white layer and the ink cracks and chips. They are still investigating as they say the white should be as conformable as the other colors.

Dukenukem117

We had the Mimaki demo'ed for us and the print took FOREVER because of the white underlayer. The total ink bill was also insane.

Dukenukem117

That wasn't my experience with our demo. It was reasonably fast for a entry level white ink printer and it was very economical for the white cost.

Maybe it was cause we were printing on a black media, but a small banner of about 3'x6' was taking an hour and estimated to use like ~$25 of ink according to the RIP. We didn't even stick around for the whole print cause it was clearly a no-go.

Anyways, I suggest the OP bring the most difficult material he will print and run it. For a $30k purchase, you want to be sure it will work with what you intend to print.

Christian @ 2CT Media

What settings we're they using? White ink is slow in all machines, I challenge you to show us a machine proceed at $26000 that is faster.

If it required $25 worth of ink we're you trying to coat a black media white? You are basically saying you were consuming 1/5th a box of white ink.

Dukenukem117

What settings we're they using? White ink is slow in all machines, I challenge you to show us a machine proceed at $26000 that is faster.

If it required $25 worth of ink we're you trying to coat a black media white? You are basically saying you were consuming 1/5th a box of white ink.

I had no control over the settings so I don't know what they were using. I don't know of a machine either. Eventually we just resigned ourselves to buying the media in white and printing it black as opposed to laying enough white to obscure the base black. That does make me wonder what the purpose of white ink generally is if not to print on other base colors.

signage

almost all inks are translucent, so white is used to get truer color on other colors than true white, and also printing on clear.