• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Who here does trophies and awards?

threeputt

...in addition to running a sign shop?

We have an opportunity before us to buy out an existing shop. Lock, stock and barrel. And operate it under one roof with our sign shop.

Seems like it'd be a good fit? Yes?

Anyone else doing this?

Charles

CanuckSigns

We started off doing trophies and awards, it's a good market if you can get some sports leagues and schools under your belt, but be prepared for people coming in wanting one trophy for tomorrow, but having a budget of $5-10... come to think of it it's alot like the sign business!
Edit: Also make sure you have the room, you will be expected to carry lots of inventory (enough trophies for at least one team for all the different sports in a few different styles each)

MikePro

anyone want to buy trophies? just need new plaques engraved and bam! like new!
my sisters have a stash of about 150+ trophies from their pre-teen dancing recitals/competitions. gotta be worth something to someone, right?

Air Art Girl

Charles, I do trophies, plaques, etc. Give me a call, I'll be happy to discuss your opportunity and answer any questions you might have.

jiarby

We do both as well... awards, trophies, plaques, medals, sublimation

It CAN be a good fit, the people that buy trophies also buy t-shirts, signs, banners, and decals. Don't overpay for the existing business. Inventory & equipment should be HEAVILY discounted... Make sure you get ALL the old files (art/layouts), all old accounting info (invoices, expenses) and keep the same phone/fax/website.

Mike..
Old trophies are practically worthless. Who wants to buy a used trophy? The parts that make up a trophy are very inexpensive, so there is no incentive to re-tread a used one. Sell them for $25 (for the whole lot) on craigslist and some charter shool will buy them.

visualeyez

Yeah we also are a "Signs & Engraving" shop under one roof. Work orders are split into the two different departments. I get all the sign orders. Another guy gets all the engraving orders. Engraving has three sub-departments: laser, rotary, or dye sub. Most of our work comes from a University so we have to be able to handle all three.
As far as inventory goes, we try to stock as little as possible. This eliminates cheap rush jobs and the wait adds value to the product. With free shipping that comes the next day when you order before 5pm, why let inventory collect dust?
For busy work you can sponsor all the youth teams and attach figures to bases for hours....