• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Whoa!!! e-mail Graphtec about 64 bit driver support and just see what happens!

Mark N

I am frustrated, because right out of the gate, Graphtec says on their website that they have no plans to meet 64-bit driver compliance for their machines. Well, I just bought a new computer. I had to. It was 64-bit Vista. Have you looked at computers lately? 64-bit architecture is sort of "here and now" I would say.
Well, when I read the web site about their intended "lack of support" (Here is a link so you can read it yourself if you would like to. http://www.graphteccorp.com/vista.html )

I decided to send an e-mail to them letting know that it basically sucks that they are failing to keep our machines running on anything new (unless you build it yourself, or buy quickly, before 32-bit systems are totally off the mainstream market).

Here is a copy of what I sent them:
"I am discouraged that Graphtec has decided not to support 64 bit Vista systems with upgraded drivers.

These 64 bit systems are about all you can buy now in the world of computers.
I will sell my Graphtec machines (while I still can), and then advise all acquaintances in the vinyl cutting business not to buy Graphtec machines until they support the new computers..

This decision will ultimately hurt your business I am afraid."
That was the entire e-mail I sent them.

Well...Within 5 minutes of sending that note, someone named "Charlie" (Asian accent so you'll know him in case you have the pleasure/displeasure of talking to him.) called me on my phone and proceeded to ream me a new one!
Seems I "struck a nerve"?!?!
He said (and I quote) "Your e-mail is threatening, and you might be someone who would come in with a gun and start shooting!" I'M SERIOUS!!!! He said that! Sheesh...A little bit dramatic there Charlie!!!
He lambasted me for about 15 minutes!

Anyway, he still wouldn't commit to a 64 bit driver for my "Old" (as he called my ancient 2 year old plotter) CE-3000 mkII.
He indicated that there might be one in a couple of months for "current shipping models". Who knows if that will work on my 2 year old dinosaur CE-3000 MKII??

Anyway, you've been warned: e-mail Graphtec "threatening" them, and you WILL face the "Wrath of Charlie"!

Mark N

By the way, my "work around solution" will have to be...

either a dual boot (64-bit Vista and 32-bit XP Pro) or do a VM bridge into XP Pro. What a pain simply because they have decided "old" machines don't warrant support on new computers...

Mark N

Thank you!
I was actually here some months back, but I couldn't remember login-ins, passwords and my e-mail has changed since then, so I just simply re=registered again.
This place is a "gold mine" of talented, smart, and helpful folks. I have gained much help and directions from those here that have so willingly shared their knowledge with us fledgelings.
I have always tried to pass forward that what I have learned here.
Thanks again!

Mark N

British Columbia!!!
You are on my "short list" of places to visit (I am a nature photographer by passion) and to fly-fish your streams and rivers.
Thank you.

MacDaddy

Yup, That's Gratech for ya...... They seem adament that they will not change with the times, I have done 'been there and done that' with them in regards to drivers....

Craig Sjoquist

from what I understand .... use vista in 32 bit ... less problems mnay enjoy this better then 64 bit

...in fact many upgrade to XP ... also

CS-SignSupply

Just curious, what cutter manufacturer is offering a 64 bit driver? Can not locate for Roland, Ioline, APD, Graphtec and best I can tell, no mention of 64 bit for Gerber either.

Dont use 64 bit here so really dont have the experience and joy.

Mark N

Just curious, what cutter manufacturer is offering a 64 bit driver? Can not locate for Roland, Ioline, APD, Graphtec and best I can tell, no mention of 64 bit for Gerber either.

Dont use 64 bit here so really dont have the experience and joy.

That is a great question, and I have wondered myself what the others are doing.
The 64-bit systems will undoubtedly eclipse the 32-bit systems very soon.

Unless people are willing to do a dual boot method of getting XP 32-bit Operating systems, you will forced to wipe the 64-bit operating system off of you new computer, and install the 32 bit XP (that you will probably have to buy for about $100). This then, effectively "throttles" the 64-bit performance you just paid for in your new computer.
And, eventually, XP won't be available easily anywhere. Sort of like looking for a copy of 98 or Me now.

I guess if one was willing to have a dedicated graphics design computer, running 32 bit XP, one could get a computer that would do this for a reasonable price that would last for a good number of years.
But, if you are trying to multi-task your graphics computer, it might not be enough power for a lot of folks.
That is my scenario...I wanted the laptop I just bought to effectively "do it all" for me. E-mail, graphics work, photo. editing, light video editing, word processing, just lots of different stuff. It will do it all except the graphics part. :(

Dice

Mark your barking up the wrong tree. The whole world doesn't support 64 bit drivers yet.

I've recently switched to 64 bit Vista and Dell doesn't even support it. If Dell doesn't fully support vista 64 how can you expect someone like Graphtec? Just use an older box 32 bit on your graphtec or anything that will run any hardware.

All driver developers need to catch up. Wait until windows 7 comes out this next year and in 2010 more companies will start driving to 64 bit. Until then we'll be living in a 32 bit world.

BTW I love 64 bit Vista other than the driver issues :) CS4 runs nice!

Techman

32 bit machines will be around for years to come.. Wrong complaint. What you are really saying is,, You spent extra to get 64 bit and cannot use it fully yet. Its not graphtec's fault.

Flame

I guess if one was willing to have a dedicated graphics design computer, running 32 bit XP, one could get a computer that would do this for a reasonable price that would last for a good number of years.
But, if you are trying to multi-task your graphics computer, it might not be enough power for a lot of folks.
That is my scenario...I wanted the laptop I just bought to effectively "do it all" for me. E-mail, graphics work, photo. editing, light video editing, word processing, just lots of different stuff. It will do it all except the graphics part. :(

I can't even imagine doing this. I have 3 PC's at my desk, one for internet and e-mails, one for designing, and one for RIP, printing and cutting. I couldn't imagine trying to do all in one, especially a laptop! IMHO, you're attempting to do too much and expecting simply too much. Get a couple cheap 32bit PC's and you'll be up and rolling and happy.

And, as has already been mentioned, not too many companies support 64bit at the moment...

And if you e-mailed me saying my company sucks, I'd probably be a bit hot around the collar too!

ZacCarter

We use 64-bit in the shop on 3 of the computers. And have 2 32 bit towers one for cut vinyl, and one for RIP.

Had to go to 64-bit so we could utilize more ram. Currently have 8 gigs in each of the 64-bit towers.

I do think XP is one of the better OS's, but I didn't have any issues getting used to Vista.

Mark N

I have no illusions that device makers should have full support for 64-bit systems in place right now as we talk about this.

However; for Graphtec to lead the device support page with this statement:"We do not have plan to comply with the Windows Vista (64bit version)" reminds me a lot of when GM made the following statement back in1994:
"General Motors Corp. has no plans to try to answer the success of the Toyota Prius, the critically-acclaimed gas/electric hybrid car, said Robert Lutz, GM's vice chairman of product development.
It just doesn't make environmental or economic sense to try to put an expensive dual-powertrain system into less expensive cars which already get good mileage
", Lutz said at the North American International Auto Show.

Well...We now see how short sighted that decision by GM was...

My point isn't lack of current support, but the nearly absolute lack of spoken intent to support in the future.

Mark N

And also, the extremely defensive, aggressive, accusatory, return phone call that I received from "Charlie" at Graphtec really, really struck me as odd, given the state of the economy and retail sales...

sarge

imho with that kind of support .. sell that boat anchor and get a machine that will do your job .. but i am also with flame .. you need to really look closely at your IT resources .. use what you have with what you got .. and why did you buy a machine that couldnt do your work .. you should have done the research .. all my machines are xp pro except 2 .. one is a vista and the other is lynx red hat box

trakers

The problem is people are ordering machines with more that 4Gb of memory. Since XP and Vista 32 can really only access 3.5Gb they get stuck with 64-bit Vista, which is a travesty. The worst part is most of them don't even know it until it is too late.

Vista in any flavor is a disaster, but the 64-bit version is especially insidious, unstable and lacks compatiblity with exisiting software. Many computer people are skipping Vista all together in favor of Windows 7. While still worse than XP IMO, it will be (even the Beta already is) miles ahead of Vista.

I've only contacted Graphtec support once (just for a operational question, not a failure) and althought the guy did appear to be some flavor of Indian, he was courteous and helpful.

S'N'S

Roland has a Vista driver for their cutters on their site but its only 32bit.
I wonder if all this is because Microsoft is scrapping Vista, I heard a lot of software companies are waiting for the new OS.

SignsOfMaine

That response was hilarious.

I wonder if it's a language barrier thing: "this decision will hurt your business I'm afraid."

Maybe he misunderstood that to mean you plan actually hurt people at his business or otherwise hurt them in a more serious way than financially?
That's the only thing I can think of that would make someone respond like that.

for the record, I doubt more than 25% of the PC market is 64-bit, which is huge, but within the print industry I bet it's even less. We're definitely not at the point where it's tough to find anything else.