• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Why does my client need a W-9 from me?

MariaMartini

I made a banner for a new client last week, now somebody from the finance dept. is asking for a W-9.

Why do they need it?

EDIT >> I Googled it, so I guess I already have that question answered, sorry!

Is this a common occurrence?

Last edited:

ChicagoGraphics

Most compaines don't ask for them but there are them select few that do. There have been times when I never sent them the form back.

Checkers

It's normally asked for when you're a sole proprietor or a partnership and it's to prove that you're a contractor and not an employee.
The simple solution to avoid giving out your ssn is to apply for an EIN from the IRS. It's free, easy and protects your personal identification.

Checkers

binki

They are required to ask for it if they pay you more than $600 per year. If you don't file it they are required to withhold estimated taxes from payments to you.

Billct2

On the flip side you should be collecting W-9s from any subcontracter you us.
My crane service, router sub and bookkeeper give me one.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
They are required to ask for it if they pay you more than $600 per year. If you don't file it they are required to withhold estimated taxes from payments to you.

Nonsense. I get this every year from various clients. I tell them I'm a retail business no different than a clothing or grocery store and I have no 1099 relationship with them. I'm neither an employee nor a contractor, I'm a merchant. I have never, as in ever, sent any client a W-9. I explain that they can withhold whatever they want but the bill is what it is and will be paid in full. Their accounting system is not my problem.

MariaMartini

It's normally asked for when you're a sole proprietor or a partnership and it's to prove that you're a contractor and not an employee.
The simple solution to avoid giving out your ssn is to apply for an EIN from the IRS. It's free, easy and protects your personal identification.

Checkers

I have an EIN but I thought it was my tax ID... is it both?