• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

why does Signlab 8 do this?

gabagoo

I have seen this before especially when importing eps files... this file was a .ps but seems to import as either an eps or an ai, but it has these 2 letters jammed in and somehow connected to the logo. I know they don't belong there and if I try to break the graphic apart it ruins the real logo.... anyone else ever seen this?

Attachments

• signlab cuckoo.jpg
    signlab cuckoo.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 199

gabagoo

I went back and renamed the file with an eps extension and now it opens perfectly... I still want to know why those 2 symbols get put into files at times though...what does it mean?

Milo

I've seen this repeatedly myself and asked Cadlink tech support about it. Evidently they don't know either, because it is not fixed even though it was brought to their attention.

heyskull

These look like Euro currency symbols.
I have seen this many times before and always thought that was some sort of copyright or security on the logo.
But looking futher I reckon it is some sort of funtion such as a fade or special effect that signlab doesn't understand.
As Signlab goes their has been very little development on previous and current versions for updating this issue.

I heard a couple of weeks ago that Cadlink are to launch a 64bit version soon (at last, this should bring the programme into the 21st Century all be it 16 years later!) which will explain why they are doing some good deals on upgrades and new copies.
They have had to do this as Signlab will not use any more than one core of your multi core machine and still runs 32 bit.
Sadly this will not be an upgrade of 9.1 and will be an all new version 10 which will cost us all!!

SC

player

These look like Euro currency symbols.
I have seen this many times before and always thought that was some sort of copyright or security on the logo.
But looking futher I reckon it is some sort of funtion such as a fade or special effect that signlab doesn't understand.
As Signlab goes their has been very little development on previous and current versions for updating this issue.

I heard a couple of weeks ago that Cadlink are to launch a 64bit version soon (at last, this should bring the programme into the 21st Century all be it 16 years later!) which will explain why they are doing some good deals on upgrades and new copies.
They have had to do this as Signlab will not use any more than one core of your multi core machine and still runs 32 bit.
Sadly this will not be an upgrade of 9.1 and will be an all new version 10 which will cost us all!!

SC

Where can I read this?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I went back and renamed the file with an eps extension and now it opens perfectly... I still want to know why those 2 symbols get put into files at times though...what does it mean?

I think it is just a parsing error as Signlab tries to read in the EPS using the selected filter.
I used to see all kinds of odd stuff trying to bring in Illustrator files into CorelDraw.

Or......it could be SignLab trying & failing to translate an eps file into Canadian.

wayne k
guam usa

WildWestDesigns

Version 9.1 can't totally be 32bit otherwise, there would be no way for it to take advantage of 64 bit systems at all.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2015-12-11 05-51-01.png
    Screenshot from 2015-12-11 05-51-01.png
    74.9 KB · Views: 144

WildWestDesigns

It is 32 bit have a look on your task manger processes it is running as a 32 bit process.

Sc

I can't. I got that from their brochure, I don't run SignLab. However, I cannot see a 32 bit system utilizing the speed aspects of a 64 bit system. Now being installed on a 64 bit system as a 32 bit system, that's something else, my digitizing program does that, but it doesn't take advantage of the speed of a 64 bit OS

heyskull

Yes even installing any version of Signlab onto a 64 bit machine it will only run in 32 bit mode.

What's even more annoying is that although Signlab will run in multiple instance it still is only using 1 core unless set in task manager to use another core.
This brings any hi-performance machine to its knees as it just runs out of processing power.

SC

gabagoo

I know that with Signlab 8 when you import an eps file a dialogue box opens and gives you options on how to open the file. In the beginning since I was opening an eps file I naturally clicked EPS option and those symbols showed up...I originally thought it was part of the file and asked questions of the client who thought I was insane.... I now import all eps files using the pdf option and it works, although I have no idea why those options were put into the program as earlier versions I had (5) never had them. There must be a reason.

heyskull

I know that with Signlab 8 when you import an eps file a dialogue box opens and gives you options on how to open the file. In the beginning since I was opening an eps file I naturally clicked EPS option and those symbols showed up...I originally thought it was part of the file and asked questions of the client who thought I was insane.... I now import all eps files using the pdf option and it works, although I have no idea why those options were put into the program as earlier versions I had (5) never had them. There must be a reason.

Yes I noticed this.
The only thing is I would not trust the pdf option either as Signlab is not that up to date with importing pdfs and occasionally you will still find things not as they should be.
If I was you I would be also opening EPS files in illustrator just to check they were correct.

SC

Milo

Our computer was built high end with dual core xeon procesors & 32GB ram. Signlab 9.1 does not utilize the power available in processor speed, ram, or video redraw. No combinaton of options help. Cadlink support couldn't do anything to help, so I called my computer tech support for what I thought may have been hardware issues. He pointed out that in task manager while undergoing an intensive "calcualtion", the softaware never went about 12% even on ONE core. The other processor not even brought into the picture. If we did anything in Coreldraw equivilent, it is blazing fast.

WildWestDesigns

Our computer was built high end with dual core xeon procesors & 32GB ram. Signlab 9.1 does not utilize the power available in processor speed, ram, or video redraw. No combinaton of options help. Cadlink support couldn't do anything to help, so I called my computer tech support for what I thought may have been hardware issues. He pointed out that in task manager while undergoing an intensive "calcualtion", the softaware never went about 12% even on ONE core. The other processor not even brought into the picture. If we did anything in Coreldraw equivilent, it is blazing fast.

That definitely sounds like a 32bit program alright.

They must be doing some creative wording on their brochures, because a 32 bit program does not have the ability to leverage the speed of a 64 bit program, only a 64 bit program can.

I pretty much have the same setup in my Lenova P500 and Windows programs (even under a VM) are blazing fast with one exception (my digitizing program, which is the only one that is 32 bit). It's not a slouch for what it is, but it isn't as fast either. I have to wonder if it's a combination of it being a 32 bit program and coding that isn't quite right. But I don't use this specific program, just as an outsider looking in, so take it for what it's worth.

player

I bought SL 9.1 on sale, but I never bonded wi th it. I wonder what they charge for upgrades? Will it fix things? They went a whole year with no patches, fixes, nothing...