• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Why doesn't any oracal profiles have higher than 720x720?

J

john1

Hey guys, Wondering why Oracal and any other digital media profiles only come with standard quality settings?

Would be nice to have a high quality one for certain jobs. I know i should make a custom one if i want that but i don't know how to.

Thanks!

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Maybe XRite has a backroom deal with the RIP makers to only include crappy canned profiles? :covereyes: Dont know really though, I do know most canned profiles are at best simply "okay". None are great. You could always experiment with some other media's profiles if any are at higher resolution to see if they will work good on the Oracal you use. That or as you mentioned, get an i1 device and make your own profiles which will be excellent, probably expand your gamut, reduce your ink costs, and give you better more consistent color.

Matt-Tastic

Because they are making profiles for 20 medias, for 2-5 rips, for 10-20 printers. that math comes easily to an excess of 2000 profiles over time. at 2-3 profiles a day, that's years of work for a free item that many manufacturers (i.e. 3m) don't even bother with.

Not defending them, but making profiles can be a lot of work, and something that a company would charge a good amount of money for a "dialed in" profile. Not to mention they are working with a generic baseline media, and hitting a generic target, as everyone's printer and environment are slightly different, they look for a universal sample.

Custom profiling is the way to go if simply getting the correct volume of ink to do the job is not enough for you. You'll be happier with the results.

signage

Because they are making profiles for 20 medias, for 2-5 rips, for 10-20 printers. that math comes easily to an excess of 2000 profiles over time. at 2-3 profiles a day, that's years of work for a free item that many manufacturers (i.e. 3m) don't even bother with.

Not defending them, but making profiles can be a lot of work, and something that a company would charge a good amount of money for a "dialed in" profile. Not to mention they are working with a generic baseline media, and hitting a generic target, as everyone's printer and environment are slightly different, they look for a universal sample.

Custom profiling is the way to go if simply getting the correct volume of ink to do the job is not enough for you. You'll be happier with the results.

:goodpost:

SIGNTIME

So is there any literature on building profiles? How or where do I go about learning to build profiles, reasons and info on different options and such?

4R Graphics

Yes what rip are you using?

There is alot of info here on the forum and online about building profiles most of it is the same no matter what rip you use.

Go to the color mgmt forum there is alot of good info in there if you need more help as away we will try to help.

JoshLoring

Oracal profiles like that because they know that ink works on their media.
You start tweaking for less ink etc.. You start havin failures. Just sayin.