• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Why no love for East Coast sign shows?

CES020

Okay, not so much east coast, but North East. We've been going to sign shows for about 7-8 years now fairly steady and it seems there is a huge lack of big sign shows in the area. There is USSC's Signworld in Atlantic City each year, but that's a relatively small show, then there's the NBM show's which are really small when it comes to the sign side of things. But you get things like SGIA and ISA that seem to love the west coast and deep south. With the Northeast being so populated, I'd think someone, somewhere, would have SGIA or ISA size shows in the north east. Am I missing some big north east shows, or is there a reason those shows stay away from such a huge market?

CES020

More expensive then the heart of vegas? I think not.

Anyways, who cares where it is? You can drive 5 hrs? Or fly 3 hrs. What am i missing?

Because it's easy to drive 4 people for 3 hours, attend the show and maybe stay a night. Taking 4 people to Vegas is expensive for a small business. You need 2 days for travel, 2 days at the show, all the flights, hotels, and meals. We're just little fish.

I just wondered why nothing seems to come anywhere near a pretty massive population of people in the print business.

HulkSmash

Because it's easy to drive 4 people for 3 hours, attend the show and maybe stay a night. Taking 4 people to Vegas is expensive for a small business. You need 2 days for travel, 2 days at the show, all the flights, hotels, and meals. We're just little fish.

I just wondered why nothing seems to come anywhere near a pretty massive population of people in the print business.

A small business should be able to afford 2-3 plane tickets and 2-3 nights a year in a hotel to experience the show.
I understand your thought process but if you can't afford a few plane tickets you need to charge more for services :wink:

CES020

A small business should be able to afford 2-3 plane tickets and 2-3 nights a year in a hotel to experience the show.
I understand your thought process but if you can't afford a few plane tickets you need to charge more for services :wink:

I'm trying, I'm trying. Just as a point of reference, it cost us about $2,000 total to go to ISA. That's meals, travel, 3 hotel rooms. Same thing to Vegas is $5,000 not including any meals, etc. We can swing the $5,000, but when I think about things I could spend $5,000 on for the business, attending a trade show isn't even on the top 10 of the list.

thesignexpert

I've wondered about this myself. Specifically for wrap shops, if you take a look at the WrapperMapper big map you can see a much larger concentration of shops on the eastern half of the US. When you filter the results by each particular certification system (3M, PDAA Master etc.) it becomes even more obvious. Yet the vast majority of the shows, training, testing etc. seem to be Vegas, west coast or Florida areas. In all fairness, the NBM - Big Show show will be in Indianapolis, IN this summer but I think it is a valid question to look at the motivations for the show locations. Do any of the big suppliers / show participants have a logical reasoning for this? I would think it makes more financial sense to go where your customers are but perhaps the lure for attendees is to come to the more exotic / exciting locations. Combine a fun trip with a business need...

HulkSmash

I've wondered about this myself. Specifically for wrap shops, if you take a look at the WrapperMapper big map you can see a much larger concentration of shops on the eastern half of the US. When you filter the results by each particular certification system (3M, PDAA Master etc.) it becomes even more obvious. Yet the vast majority of the shows, training, testing etc. seem to be Vegas, west coast or Florida areas. In all fairness, the NBM - Big Show show will be in Indianapolis, IN this summer but I think it is a valid question to look at the motivations for the show locations. Do any of the big suppliers / show participants have a logical reasoning for this? I would think it makes more financial sense to go where your customers are but perhaps the lure for attendees is to come to the more exotic / exciting locations. Combine a fun trip with a business need...

Flordia (east coast) Has a huge one once a year.

New Orleans (kinda east coast) Has a massive one every other year.

thesignexpert

Flordia (east coast) Has a huge one once a year.

New Orleans (kinda east coast) Has a massive one every other year.

Yes, but New Orleans and Florida are WAY south. Still pretty far from the core of the country. I would love to go one in NYC but would shudder to think what the costs would be. YIKES!

Dennis422

ISS in Atlantic City has a bit of signs stuff.
NBM in Indy is next month. That is a decent size show. I was there last year and I will be going there this year too.

CES020

Yes, but New Orleans and Florida are WAY south. Still pretty far from the core of the country. I would love to go one in NYC but would shudder to think what the costs would be. YIKES!

Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington D.C. just to name a few others. They could do outside of D.C. in the Virginia side of things (like Arlington or Alexandria) and get things a lot cheaper than D.C.

I thought we'd do ISA again in Florida next year, only to see the banner at ISA saying next year is in Vegas. So if SGIA is in Vegas and ISA is in Vegas, that means there won't be any big shows on the East Coast in 2015.