• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

why put some one down

chitoon

because of mispelling no commas i thought if you need help people would but i find more people here worried about if some one mispells a word JUST CANT UNDERSTAND IT.......................

weaselboogie

JUST CANT UNDERSTAND IT.......................

There's your answer.

WHY should I waste my time trying to help someone who is too lazy to throw together a coherent sentence. I just read your post 3 times before I could understand what you were saying. Some simple punctuation here and there starts and ends a thought.

I'm sorry.. Was this a rhetorical question or do you sincerely not understand why people do not have the patience to deal with laziness?

I'll assume this references Mr Sign&Frame? That guy took it to a whole new level. Not only could he not form a coherent sentence, 90% of the substance was pointless lip-flappin'.

Gordy Saunders

We, in this industry, deal with presenting information to the public. Our clients expect us to be professional. They expect us to catch their mistakes and correct them so that they don't embarrass themselves publically. They are compositional skills, and require a certain level of education. If you can't persent yourself at a particular level of expertise you are going to have difficulty with your clients and your contemporaries in the industry. If you want to be wise hang out with wise men and listen - intently!!!
That other saying: Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and be proven a fool. Unless your ee cummings of course

Vinylman

"Stupid is as Stupid does" {a Forrest Gumpism}

you must be a lawyer or a politician?

NO chitoon, most of us here are Professional Sign people, who pride ourselves in the skills we acquired while attending a twelve year {or higher} educational system that taught us the BASIC grammatical tools of communication. Like learning to spell, or proper sentence structure. Grammatic relevance, cognitive recognition. Just a few of the BASIC items necessary to properly communicate in a civilized society.

An occasional grammatical error, or an occasional failure to capitalize can be overlooked. However the sophomoric approach to the English language that some people chose to display here is what the real issue is.

I come here as a 30+ year veteran of the printing and sign profession. I take a certain pride in the fact that I can do more than just stab a finger or two at the keyboard.

The fact that many of the, [what seems like] younger generation have either failed to see the need to be cautious about the spelling or grammatical errors in their everyday communication patterns is what is so problematic.

I think OP is one of the few "Old Timers" on here that regularly breaks out of the norm that I am bringing to your attention. {No offense intended OP}

If you want to learn from Professionals, you must be able to converse with them in a language, or vernacular they are familiar with. Otherwise it is like me going to an Italian {or Hungarian, Vietnamese....} nation and expecting them to speak MY language fluently. Generally aint going to happen.

Welcome to the real world.

Try this on for size..

Would you pay, {or expect one of your customers to pay} for a sign spelled the way some of the people here spell???

Would you accept a sign with the grammatical errors displayed in some of the posts here???

Of course not.:banghead:

That is the point !

Nothing more, nothing less.:peace!:

R08

And besides that, it's irritating trying to read someone's shorthand or to catch the nuances of a persons meaning without punctuation.

There is a lot of leeway given in this forum and sometimes the corrections are made just to poke fun but some of the writers of posts are bad enough for me to not even read them.Especially one who is no longer with us.

Pat Whatley

We, in this industry, deal with presenting information to the public. Our clients expect us to be professional. They expect us to catch their mistakes and correct them so that they don't embarrass themselves publically. They are compositional skills, and require a certain level of education. If you can't persent yourself at a particular level of expertise you are going to have difficulty with your clients and your contemporaries in the industry. If you want to be wise hang out with wise men and listen - intently!!!
That other saying: Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and be proven a fool. Unless your ee cummings of course

Great post right up until that glaring mistake there, Sparky. :ROFLMAO:

NO
The fact that many of the, [what seems like] younger generation
Dude is 56 years old (see ridiculous post in Software) which puts him smack-dab in the middle of your generation! :ROFLMAO:

Chitoon, communication is important. The PNC1000 post and the software post you made, both of which you got pissed off at the board members for, were simple, easy problems to deal with and could have been answered easily but nobody could understand what you were trying to ask. Once you got mad and started moaning about the lack of help, (i.e. blaming others for being the problem) most people wrote you off as being another teenager/mechanic/housewife/fireman/mama's boy trying to make a quick buck off the hard-earned knowledge of people who do this for a living.

I'm sure you're a great guy and if someone was actually talking to you you'd communicate just fine. Jumping in here and sounding like just another flunky is going to get you nowhere (other than Maine) fast.

Last edited:

Jillbeans

I was an A student in grammar class many moons ago, but I tend to type too fast with two fingers and discomboobulate my letters sometimes.
That's one thing, and I've seen dyslexic typing many times (teh for the)
That can be overlooked, and I wouldn't put someone down for it.

But straight on "text" style typing is just plain annoying, as are vague phrases, run-on sentences, OP's )))))))s, "LOL" and even the over-use of the Quote feature.
I will quote Don Knotts in the Ghost and Mr. Chicken: "When you work with words, words are your work."
Therefore it is especially crucial in our field to be able to get a message across as well as be a good proof-reader. It actually makes mistakes scream out at us, because we are trained to catch them. We can't help it.

I also like to be able to read what someone wants to say.
Halfway decent spelling and good punctuation just makes it easier to do so.
Love....Jill

coyote

I tend to just ignore posts I can't read. Who has the time?

That being said, my other job is teaching English to speakers of other languages. I have students who have been in the country for less than a year who write better than most of my native English speaking students.

A slip of the fingers on the keyboard won't destroy the meaning of a thought-but incoherence will. We deal with language. Our customers count on us to find errors and present a clear message that will get their product sold or noticed. If we make spelling or grammatical errors, we are not doing our job.

This is a forum by, about, and for sign people and language is of great importance. As I tell my students, read it aloud before you hit send and take a moment to edit. Have some respect for your audience and they will respect you and take you seriously.

Carol

AKWD

I'm sorry, but that post was hard as hell to read. Spelling can be forgiven, but if you're too lazy to at least smack shift, comma and period once in a while (In the proper location), I will too skip past it. There is a difference between maybe not have gotten the best education in the world (And I do know people like that) who try to write properly still; This, my kind sir, is just laziness. You don't even try to capitalize the first letter, the 'i' or make fully coherent sentence.

If you spoke to your client the way you just talked to us, they'd walk out on you. If you wrote a quote out like that, you'd lose a client, or end up with problems all around.

I recommend just to make a few seconds extra effort. It'll earn you a lot more respect and your posts will actually be read instead of skimmed/skipped.

Billct2

We're in the communication business.....nough said.
I'm no typist, but I at least fix the glaring errors.

imaSIGNr

Great post right up until that glaring mistake there, Sparky. :ROFLMAO:

Dude is 56 years old (see ridiculous post in Software) which puts him smack-dab in the middle of your generation! :ROFLMAO:

Chitoon, communication is important. The PNC1000 post and the software post you made, both of which you got pissed off at the board members for, were simple, easy problems to deal with and could have been answered easily but nobody could understand what you were trying to ask. Once you got mad and started moaning about the lack of help, (i.e. blaming others for being the problem) most people wrote you off as being another teenager/mechanic/housewife/fireman/mama's boy trying to make a quick buck off the hard-earned knowledge of people who do this for a living.

I'm sure you're a great guy and if someone was actually talking to you you'd communicate just fine. Jumping in here and sounding like just another flunky is going to get you nowhere (other than Maine) fast.
I hope you're not suggesting that anyone in/from Maine falls into this category.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
:ROFLMAO:

There shouldn't be a need to answer a question such as this one, due to the simple fact.... it's a totally bogus question.

Dave Drane

As signwriters or the new term "grafix artistes" I think it is solely our jobs to know what to place on the substrate, regardless of what our customers hand us on a piece of paper 2" square. Proof reading is OK, but it is the same as if we were accountants, then it would be our job to be able to know what 1+1=...??

Marlene

we get typos and words that aren't spelled right here all the time and it's no big deal. it's the short hand and text message style of short cutting that drives people nuts. we only have so much time in the day to read these posts. the last thing we need is to have to insert letters and such to figure out what is being said. I'm always transposing letters and no ones ever picked on me for it. the only typo I ever got a response to was a recent thread about Olympic volley ball when I said something about men's volley balls and speedos in the same sentence...

Flame

Sir, your problem is you do not have the patience to properly communicate your problem, and expect us to jump right in and help you for free, no matter the problem.

diceded to take it to a cumputer tech tomarrow i will pay the $250.00 a hour at best buy tomarrow got to get this done but i can see nobody is here have to find a forum where there are people next time wasted a lot of time here for nothing thanks every one for nothing Jim

You posted that after waiting for 20 minutes and not getting an answer. You were rude, and were acting quite childish. THAT, is why people were rude back.

thanks every one for nothing

That part right there, read it one more time. Doesn't sound inviting, does it? Proper communication is a key element in EVERYTHING you do in your day to day life, and if you do not take the time to communicate it, or worse... only try to communicate your unhappiness, who wants to help you anyways?

Just my $0.02

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
...Dude is 56 years old (see ridiculous post in Software) which puts him smack-dab in the middle of your generation! :ROFLMAO:

It is unfortunate that some of the schools of our generation had such poor teachers. I'm 55 years young. When I first got out into the real world and married a school teacher I found out how bad it was.

Here are some of the mistakes that I was making.
Ca'nt - I saw this in class mates correspondence so I know it was'nt just me. I also see it in many blogs so I know it is not just the school I grew up in.
alot - No such word! You see it used here a lot too.
Run on sentences. I still do this but, with modern word processing it is very easy to go back and break the sentence structure up so it is not quite so bad.
I still have problems with sentence structure. Most of that is in the placing of commas and using commas to make a run on sentence work.