• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wide Format Full Color Printer / Plotter

Ajhalls

I have been using an Ioline Studio 7 for about 15 years with Flexisign and it has recently started acting up. I would love to step up to a wide printer / plotter, but could use some suggestions.

When I see a printer that advertises contour cuts, is that similar to my Ioline, or super basic outlining a printout? Some that I have seen seem to just trim the page off to length.

I have tons of 15/24" vinyl that I would still like to use, but also love to be able to print on long rolls of paper for banners, posters and so on.

I don't need anything new, something used off ebay would be just fine, and if there is a "right" machine, I could wait for a bit for it to come available. 24" is my lower limit on width, but I would like to stay under $1000 if possible.

What good systems are you guys using that hold up year after year, but that maybe are getting upgraded for faster and higher print quality systems?

brycesteiner

If you want something that's not worn out, still working, and you want it to hold up year after year I think you are going to need to invest more than $1000 or did you mean $1000 for the shipping?

DerbyCitySignGuy

$1,000 is an impossible budget for a wider printer/plotter.

I haven't looked in a while, but I'd expect you're going to be somewhere in the $8k to $10k range for a used 54" printer/plotter. Brand new, around $16k to $20k.

strypguy

I agree. You may find a decent Roland SP300V for 4K and up or an SP540V for 5.5K and up depending on condition and if they have been serviced with good working heads. John

Ajhalls

Thank you guys, I guess I will look for them separately. Probably something like these off the local craigslist:
HP 800PS Plotter
$500.00
Graphtec FC7000MK2-60 24” Vinyl Plotter
$375.00

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
The DesignJet 800 series was released August 2000 and went end-of-life over ten years ago (Nov 2007).
$500 is expensive for a paperweight that (if it even works) can only print on coated papers.
It uses aqueous inks (not solvent) so you can't print onto vinyl products.

korntee

I have been using an Ioline Studio 7 for about 15 years with Flexisign and it has recently started acting up. I would love to step up to a wide printer / plotter, but could use some suggestions.

When I see a printer that advertises contour cuts, is that similar to my Ioline, or super basic outlining a printout? Some that I have seen seem to just trim the page off to length.

I have tons of 15/24" vinyl that I would still like to use, but also love to be able to print on long rolls of paper for banners, posters and so on.

I don't need anything new, something used off ebay would be just fine, and if there is a "right" machine, I could wait for a bit for it to come available. 24" is my lower limit on width, but I would like to stay under $1000 if possible.

What good systems are you guys using that hold up year after year, but that maybe are getting upgraded for faster and higher print quality systems?

hey there any chance your old studio 7 might have some usable parts doe sale? I think the cutter head on mine has worn out bearings on the solenoid thanks!