• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Widescreen vs Standard Aspect ratio monitors

blackicefx

I currently am running dual monitors, 22" widescreen and 19" standard aspect ratio monitor. I like the dual monitor setup and the 22" ease of view, but hate the fact that my designing is on widescreen and needs to be previewed on a standard screen to make sure it looks right instead of stretched out. What is the largest standard aspect ratio monitor that you guys have seen? I can't find larger than a 20" and it's too small.

Thanks,
Matthew
BlackIceFX

iSign

as far as I know, widescreen monitors should include a choice of various setting options, which, if I remember correctly, in the case of a Dell that I owned, the choices were one stretched view, one being a sideways version of "letterboxed" (meaning dark unused sections at each end, with a standard ratio section of undistorted image in the center) and one being a cropped view that filled the entire screen with undistorted view, but the top and bottom were cropped. The only view i could live with was the sideways letterboxed, which defeated the purpose of having a widescreen... so I returned it.

I saw some monitors at Costco yesterday & although I've only seen larger screens available in widescreen options for a few years now... I'm pretty sure I saw a 24" standard aspect ratio screen yesterday, for around $450

cOrKinSA

Large screens are great for designing but what sucks about my 17" monitor is that I can't seem to utilize the whole area on some websites.

RebeckaR

I have two 22" widescreen monitors at work and one here at home and none of them have a stretched appearance. You should be able to adjust your screen resolution to take care of that.
I switched from a 19" square monitor about six months ago and no way would I go back to that. Love the wider screen.

Air Art Girl

I currently am running dual monitors, 22" widescreen and 19" standard aspect ratio monitor. I like the dual monitor setup and the 22" ease of view, but hate the fact that my designing is on widescreen and needs to be previewed on a standard screen to make sure it looks right instead of stretched out. What is the largest standard aspect ratio monitor that you guys have seen? I can't find larger than a 20" and it's too small.

Thanks,
Matthew
BlackIceFX

You have to set it at the high resolution and it will not look stretched. You just have to get used to looking at things smaller.

iSign

oh yeah... in my post, I was mixing up the settings on a widescreen TV I had that I returned...

Tagdog

Graphics Card

I had the same problem with my wide screen. I put in a more advanced graphics card and it fixed the problem. If your graphics card does not support your monitor evrythinbg will be stretched.
Signs Up

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
It's like Fozzy Bear posted. Widescreens must be set to any multiple of a 16 to 9 ratio. I have my 24", for example, set to 1440 x 900.