• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Will 3M IJ-40 conform?

CES020

Can you heat and make IJ-40 conform to rough surfaces at all? I know IJ-180 does good, but I haven't tried IJ-40. Anyone know if it will conform fairly decent when heated. I have a flat panel project on a customer supplied panel that's a lot rougher than I'd like it to be, and they are perfectly fine with it not being perfect for it's application.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
If it does it wont be the best idea since its not a cast vinyl it will want to shrink after its heated and cooled.

danno

We have completed some temporary stuff, 6 - 12 months, with the IJ40. The texture will allow extra air, dirt and water if it is an outside application. And as mentioned, it does shrink.

CES020

Thanks everyone. It's a personal project for an otherwise great customer, a customer that gives us the freedom to do what we want with his stuff. However, he wanted a temporary sign, lasting about 3 months, double sided, and he said he wanted to use "Plywood". I let him know plywood wasn't going to work on Friday. Monday he calls and says "I finished that plywood, I just sent it over to you". They roll up, unload it, and it's normal, bottom of the line plywood with splits and cracks and really a rough texture, primed. I'm debating on reskinning it, but its something viewed from a distance, it's got a short life span, so I'm hoping I can get away with IJ-40. I don't want to have to buy anything for it, and I have the IJ-40 on hand.

I liked the IJ-180 because I could heat it and it would go into all the little cracks and look like it was painted on there. I was hoping I could get away with that same look with the IJ-40.