• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Will a Roland GS-24 work with Flexi 8.1?

First off, this is for my mom who is in her 70's, so no suggestions of use the Roland CutStudio software or cut directly from CorelDraw. She isn't about to learn to use a new program, and I don't have the time/patience to teach her. She's been using Flexisign Pro for decades, first for someone else's shop, then at her own business for the last 10 years. Currently has a US Cutter MH, but it was starting to have issues, and this is her 3rd one. I decided to get her a quality machine, since it will mainly be cutting small decals, some with fine detail. Anyways, I read somewhere that the GS-24 would work with Flexi selecting the GX-24 as the output device in Production Manager. No such luck, although I swear it did run the file I sent(I hadn't installed the blade yet since I was just testing) when I swapped the USB cable to a different USB port on the PC. That was a one-time thing. I also don't want to tell her she needs to spend $600 a year for Flexi 19 just to use the new cutter i bought her. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not new to this, I have been working for others and then myself using Flexi for 25 years now.

Jburns

maybe in HPGL - language? run all settings - pressure and speed thru the plotter and send the file only?

That should have testing your-own Flexi 8.1 with new Roland GS-24, it's your best answer.
I just did a fresh re-install of Flexi on my PC. Now to take the new GS24 back from mom and try it out here. Her PC is already 'flaky' and I don't want to risk a major crash and keep her from being able to do anything. Her production manager is wonky, it only shows the print/cut dialog box. I could only add a new cutter by clicking Rip and Print(she doesn't have a printer), then choosing the vinyl cutter. Also had to try to make any changes to the setup by going through the cut/plot window. So it was a painstaking task, and led me to believe there is possibly just an issue with her Flexi install or some other windows glitch. As i said in the original post, someone somewhere said it would work, I thought it was here, but i couldn't find it again.

I'm going to pose another question here: Are there any new servo motor cutters out there that will work from Flexi 8.1? I still have time to return the GS24.

WildWestDesigns

maybe in HPGL - language? run all settings - pressure and speed thru the plotter and send the file only?

If it doesn't work easily using drivers for specific cutters, this would probably be your best bet, even better if its RAW HPGL.

My next suggestion, which would already be shot down, would be to setup as a "printer" within the OS as a HPGL printer and then just do File -> Print and then send the file. The beauty of this option (which is why I said it would be shot down) is that this would work within any design program (which Flexi should still qualify I would think) and cross platform (as long as the OS supported it's creation). HPGL has been supported in Windows since XP, I don't think they have RAW, so it would depend on if the GS supports HPGL-2 (which I believe would be the same limitation within Flexi using Flexi's own drivers, but don't quote me on that). RAW would just be left up to the cutter to parse what they need and use that, everything is sent to the cutter in other words and the machine uses only what it needs (this is how I have my GXs setup on Linux as there are no native drivers from OEMs (there is one 3rd party program that does have driver support) for cutters on Linux.

Don Grutzius

First off, this is for my mom who is in her 70's, so no suggestions of use the Roland CutStudio software or cut directly from CorelDraw. She isn't about to learn to use a new program, and I don't have the time/patience to teach her. She's been using Flexisign Pro for decades, first for someone else's shop, then at her own business for the last 10 years. Currently has a US Cutter MH, but it was starting to have issues, and this is her 3rd one. I decided to get her a quality machine, since it will mainly be cutting small decals, some with fine detail. Anyways, I read somewhere that the GS-24 would work with Flexi selecting the GX-24 as the output device in Production Manager. No such luck, although I swear it did run the file I sent(I hadn't installed the blade yet since I was just testing) when I swapped the USB cable to a different USB port on the PC. That was a one-time thing. I also don't want to tell her she needs to spend $600 a year for Flexi 19 just to use the new cutter i bought her. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not new to this, I have been working for others and then myself using Flexi for 25 years now.

It will work. This same issue happened to me when i upgraded to a new computer. You must figure out what port to use in the properties of the driver. It sounds stupid, but the fix is simple as changing the output port. (Ex; from usb001 to usb002)
At least thats what it sounds like to me and the same issue i was having. Hope it helps!

Vassago

Most lightly a USB port issue.. Just go into device manager and delete the com: ports and usb: ports, then click refresh and all the working ports will come back - change the flexi port to the one left (you might have a few left, so just change it to one then so a test cut) - some older computers keep on adding ports everytime you reconnect the device so you can end up with loads that don't connect

Joseph44708

I Drink And I Know Things
I'm going to pose another question here: Are there any new servo motor cutters out there that will work from Flexi 8.1? I still have time to return the GS24.
Some great deals on Graphtec cutters out there.
If you are still having problems getting it to install, i'll get you my techs number. Im in Ormond by the Iron Horse.

Larry Morton

How are you using Flexi 8.1?
I’m under the impression that SAi no longer supports these older versions and have taken down the (login servers).
I, too, have been a loyal Flexi user for 20+ years but can no longer login.
That’s 20 years of Customer files that I can no longer open nor import into other software programs.
Please advise … Larry

jimdtg

How are you using Flexi 8.1?
I’m under the impression that SAi no longer supports these older versions and have taken down the (login servers).
I, too, have been a loyal Flexi user for 20+ years but can no longer login.
That’s 20 years of Customer files that I can no longer open nor import into other software programs.
Please advise … Larry
What Flexi# are you having there?