Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will choosing Caldera over Onyx limit our media choices?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by PrintItBig, Sep 30, 2012.

1. PrintItBig

PrintItBig Member

Sep 29, 2012
    UK
    Hi,

We're trying to make the choice between a L26500 and an eco solvent machine.

One reservation we have about the latex machines is the more limited media choice available compared to the eco solvents. I realise that the latex can print on other substrates the eco solvents can't, like fabrics etc but we're more interested in roller banner films, PVC banner, window films, SAV etc

My question: We've had a look at both Onyx and Caldera and of the 2 we prefer the look / work flow of Caldera. The problem is that Onyx seems to be the more popular rip with more profiles available for it. If we were to go down the Caldera route are we going to further limit the materials we can easily print on due to the lack of profiles?

Thanks.

Tags:
  2. Matt-Tastic

Matt-Tastic Member

Nov 25, 2008
    there are hundreds of profiles available for the L26500. Being in Europe, you should have several profiles for medias we don't have in the states. Caldera shouldn't be a bottleneck for your profiles, as I often go to the European websites (orafol.com mostly) to find caldera profiles.

Plus, easymedia is simple, and as long as you don't need a REALLY dialed in profile, you can make your own right on the L26500. it takes a couple hours to run them, but the machine/software does most of the work for you.

3. ProWraps

ProWraps Very Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    love caldera

4. bigben

bigben Moderator

Sep 3, 2007
    Quebec
    I have caldera with easymedia (and l26500 printer). I love it. I'm a former Roland user and I would never go back. You can get most of the profiles on European sites and if you not, I use easymedia to create it.

5. ProColorGraphics

ProColorGraphics Very Active Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    I would also highly recommend Caldera! Never had an issue of not being able to find and/or adjust a profile to work.

6. dypinc

dypinc Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2011
    Here
    \

Why are you not creating your own profiles?

You sure would not limit yourself like that would you?

7. PrintItBig

PrintItBig Member

Sep 29, 2012
    UK
    Thanks guys. Think I may give Caldera a go if we go down the latex route.